supercharged 5.0 true fire 98 explorer sport | Page 122 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

supercharged 5.0 true fire 98 explorer sport

hi everyone, my name is tim . i live in selkirk, manitoba, canada and as if this date that i am posting this, i am 36 years old.

i bought my sport in jan 05 from a local ford dealer. it had 111,000KM's on it. this is the second sport i have owned. it was sitting on the lot for about 8 months before i came along. i am the third owner (i was able to track down the person that traded it in, and they got it from a friend, who bought it new in 98).

i started to do a few things to it after i first got it, then i found this site, and all hell broke lose! i've never been satisfied with something the everyone else has, so i started to tinker with it even more.

19_Medium_.jpg

15540626_10154060266577513_2405619719549828739_o.jpg

14242313_10153799452207513_5208987697549996496_o.jpg

50213558658671_547488670_7421875_7068292_n_Medium_.jpg

15_Medium_.jpg

evil_and_min_evil.jpg

DSC01337_Medium_.jpg

DSC01341_Medium_.jpg

DSC02874_Medium_.jpg

10660988_10152352316047513_1588917598_n.jpg

m122b.jpg

981349_256309931177894_674155846_o_1_Medium_.jpg

DSC04422_Medium_.jpg

mods include

interior

installed factory tilt, cruise, overhead console, auto dimming mirror, full length console, with a message center (it didn't have these from factory).

white face with blue flames indigo gauge covers (they light up blue)
blue l.e.d. everything
white l.e.d. interior lights
Kenwood DDX392 Touch Screen Head Unit
alpine 4 channel amp (all four speakers)
boston acoustic front and rear speakers
alpine mono amp (for sub)
2 12 inch jl audio subs
rockford fosgate cap
passenger side one touch window down mod.
custom transfer case shifter
tripple a pillar gauge pod, housing autometer boost, Innovate LC-1 wideband, and oil pressure gauge
12v power inverter with 120v plug in a 2 usb plugs built into the center console

exterior

BMW E46 projectors, mounted into stock housings using clear lens
6000K HID head lights
angel eye "driving" lights, with 8000k h.i.d.'s
clear parking/corner lights
billet grill (powder coated by Turdle)
blacked out ford emblems
custom front steel 95-98 bumper, with 4 inch round tubes welded in for driving lights
shaved radio antenna
shaved roof rack
black euro tall lights
l.e.d. license plate lights
smoked out 3rd break light
lund rear tailgate spoiler/wing (formally from the truck "blackjack" owned by EF member Spas)
hand made roll pan (made from 3 1/2 rear bumpers, with 1/4 inch diamond plate on the top, and it is removable)
aluminum T/A differential griddle/cover (powder coated by Turdle)
Motegi Mr107 20' rims
goodyear wrangler hp p245/50 r20
1 1/4 wheel spacer in the rear, 3/8 in front
and most noticeable, black with blue pearl paint, and blue true fire (ground effects are black with blue pearl as well)

Suspension

2 inch lowering blocks in the rear, reverse TT in the front (2 inch as well)
Explorer Express rear sway bar
4 door leaf springs
rancho rs9000 adjustable rear shocks
03-05 sport trac spindles with drilled and slotted rotors

performance

5L swap
347 stroker
TFS twisted wedge alum heads
comp gold 1.6 rockers
comp cams CCA-35-556-8 nitro cam
heavily modified edelbrock victor jr air gap intake (which serves as a valley pan now)
eaton m122 supercharger (metco 2.70 pulley, and ASP 8 rib 7 1/4 crank pulley) with custom made mount with bell intercooler core
8 rib serpentine belt conversion using pulleys from a 7.3 powerstroke
custom made 3 1/2 inch throttle body elbow
accufab 75mm throttle body
4 inch intake pipe
PMASS MH90 90mm Universal 3000 KG/HR MAF
amsoil cone filter
F.A.S.T. 60lb injectors
edelbrock fuel rails, trick flow specialties fuel pressure regulator with summit racing fuel pressure gauge
walbro 255lph fuel pump
1/2 inch steel braided fuel pressure line from tank to rail using 8AN fittings
torque monster headers
2 1/2 duel pipes with flowpro duel in and out 2 1/2 single muffler
accel extreme 9000 ceramic 45 degree plug wires with boot protectors
4R70W w/2600 stall with J mod
tuff stuff 200a alternator
tuning made possible with sct pro-racer package, and tuned with major help from member [MENTION=102869]Dono[/MENTION] and [MENTION=81804]4pointslow[/MENTION]
flex a lite duel 12 inch electric fans
big 3 upgrade (4 gauge wires)
meziere innercooler water pump
2 froozenboost innercooler rads

Transfer case

4406 manual shift from a 97 F150
modified stock trans cross member to accept 93 mustang 5L polyurethane tans mount
double cardan rear drive shaft

because of all the "fun" i had doing the bodywork, and some other things to my truck, i have nick named it "evil dora" or if you like, just plane "evil"!
and now the thank yous

my buddy gord leiss, who let this thing sit in his garage for 3 months while i did the body work to it. he also gave me a hand with some of the prep work, and painted it for me

kevin willson for doing the true fire http://affordableairbrushing.ca/

Joe Bukoski for letting me do the 5L/4406 swap in his garage

now people from this site, weather they knew it or not, they helped

BIG THANKS to tara a.k.a. explorersport77 for pictures of her truck. wouldn't been able to build the roll pan with out them!

ExplorerSport77's X "Hotness"

jon a.k.a. Turdle for selling me some real swanky rear shackles, as well as powder coating the diff cover and sending them up to canada. as well as much needed info on v8, and 4406 swaps as well as doing the grill and showing me how its done.

don aka dono for the help with the tuning, and wideband, as well as the supercharger

andy aka ahodges for some parts, and any help i needed for all the go faster goodies

5.0 swap - w/ 4406

jad2411 for finding me a link for my hidden antenna

ryan a.k.a. MustangP51 for doing his write up on making l.e.d.'s for interior lights, and how to make projectors

P51's HID Headlight (Projector) and Fog Conversion (PICS)

and N3ELZ cardomain page for L.E.D. switch and cruise pod mods

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/296394/2002-ford-ranger-regular-cab/page-6
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/296394/2002-ford-ranger-regular-cab/page-12
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/296394/2002-ford-ranger-regular-cab/page-23

bob a.k.a. rwenzing for showing me speedhut's sit for the gauges

Gauges, Custom Gauges, Tachometers, Speedometers, Shift Light, Pod

Buzz4x4 for his write up on blacking out ford emblems

How to Make Your Own Custom Ford Emblems

the late aldive for his write up on one touch down passengers window mod

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141027&highlight=touch+passengers+window+mod

BIG COUNTRY, for his write up on how to install a auto dimming mirror

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=84968

BIG COUNTRY, 98formulaLS1, and Ryon40 for there write ups on how to install a message center

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225017&highlight=BIG+COUNTRY
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80670&highlight=message+center
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245085&highlight=Ryon40

MountaineerGreen for his 4406 swap write up and "Custom" Driveshaft for a 4406 and 4" Superlift on the Cheap " (even tho its lowered

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166726&highlight=awd+4x4+swap
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185232

Simon, aka blueka for his "pickle" thread, and help anytime i picked the phone up the phone on the 5L swap

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271813

Jon, aka 4pointslow for any MAJOR technical advice i have needed

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219092

i wish i could find who did the write up on the overhead console install, but here is the link

http://www.explorer4x4.com/overhead.htm

Russ aka NICE59FORDF100 for his help on the wiring, and what to watch out for electronically.

hopefully one day, i will be able to help people on here just as much as the people that i have mentioned above!

picture.php

plus you know you have done something right when.....

your truck (as well as corkey) wins truck of the month

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=296023

is the feature truck on the fun hump day radio show (starts roughly around the 30 min mark)

http://explorerforum.podbean.com/2011/03/23/19-vroom-zoomboom/

and you drive 26 hours ONE WAY to the carlisle all ford nationals in june 2010 and 2011, and grab second place in the s.u.v. all category!

scan00012.jpg

then in 2014 you go back to the same show you have been to 5 years in a row (nothing by most, but its one hell of a long drive) and take first!

scan00014.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lol. No problem, just bring evils new passenger along with you. Lol

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Realdoll dot com

Well...

Can't check tat site from a company laptop...

This thread is getting hi-jacked really quick.

Well I will attempt to put it back on track . Whenever I buy a truck to sell I always get sidetracked from it and evil gets put on the back burner. After all these things do fund pretty much anything I do to it.
For example the sport I just bought the owner either had a really large dog or never showered in his life.

464FA5EA-64DD-466C-923A-D36F3CAF2F4A.jpeg

Look at the back rest compared to the seat part. Probably a good 20 minutes or something of scrubbing with some soapy water and a hard course sponge.
This is my project today. How clean are your seats ?

still no word on whats in the box. guess i'll have to wait and see
:D

however yesterday evil decided to get a little jealous because i have been working on other trucks.
i took a friend....(a friend who likes chevys) for a ride in evil. he's heard it, but never been in it. i told him that i would do 2 different launches for him. a "THIS THING IS FREAKING AWESOME!" launch (2wd) and a "i think i just pooped myself" launch (4wd). true to my word, did the "this thing is freaking awesome" launch, and yup, thats pretty much what he was laughing and yelling the entire time. went to to the "i think i just pooped myself" launch when i happen to spot what looked like smoke coming out of the corner of the hood. jumped out, popped the hood to find anti freeze all over the passengers side of the motor.

35464624_10155352512117513_4392324248866127872_n.jpg

after a very frustrating trip to a store that does loan a tool, got a presser tester and found the problem. heater hose that goes to the steel lines burst.

35412019_10155352512172513_6233050002462081024_n.jpg

lucky for me i hoard stuff like that, and had a spare. however, trying to get those stupid spring clamps off......

35516895_10155352330692513_1683291171855532032_n.jpg

lucky for me however i had bought that tool about a week or so ago when i was putting a water pump on the sport i had bought. that thing was expensive, but i tell ya, it was worth every penny i paid for it last night!

Never seen a spring clamp tool like that before.
Do you still have to get your hand to the clamp to get it on, or do you just fish it to the clamp, and slide it over it, then squeeze?

I hate spring clamps myself, but they do save plastic tubes from cracking.

Next time you do a poop myself launch, set up a go pro for passenger reaction video. :D

Never seen a spring clamp tool like that before.
Do you still have to get your hand to the clamp to get it on, or do you just fish it to the clamp, and slide it over it, then squeeze?

you can do either or. the nice thing about it is it also locks after you squeeze it so you dont have to keep holing onto the handle

Next time you do a poop myself launch, set up a go pro for passenger reaction video. :D

:D

That's a great clamp tool, I have one and use it anytime the space is tight. The clamps often will rotate a little out of reach of a pair of pliers, Channel Lock etc, and moving it back to be able to get on it is PITA.

That special tool is easier to place on almost any spring clamp, then once hooked on, you just grasp the handle end and gently squeeze the clamp open.

I really want to see how the chopping up of new parts go. That stuff really stresses me.

intake?

what's in the boxes man o_O

well, might as well come out and post it, but first there is a funny story behind this.
lets go back a few moths when i had celly's truck (see link on previous page). the guy that bought it few in and i picked him up at the air port, drove him back here, helped him get all his paperwork, and insurance in order so he could drive it home (8 hours away, and he must like it, i havent gotten any death threats from him). however because of that, i was up since 6am. i now work afternoon shift, so i wanted to try and get a few zzzz's in before heading to work. as i tossed and turned not able to fall asleep, i decided to go on the internet at look for some parts.
then, there is was. what i have been looking for for the past 2 years! also cheep, and also in Canada (hell, it was the next province over from me) and i had money to buy this time as well!
may i introduce for your viewing pleasure, my newest headache, the eaton m122

35932288_10155366156917513_1443967120151937024_n.jpg

after a few days of trying to call the guy, i finally got him on the phone. as we talked he had said,
"k, i cant tell you if its going to work, or fit on your mustang at all, you will have to figure that out"
me "dont worry, its not going on a mustang"
"its not? mind if i ask what you are putting it on?"
me "well, its going to replace a supercharger that i have now. i have a 98 explorer sport that i tossed a 347 stroker into it, and put a m112 from a cobra onto it"
*laughs* "that is freaking AWESOME!!!!. hey, by chance do you know if a site called corral.net? if you do, do a search on something that i did. search for "Goggles Pizano" i was putting one of these on my mustang"
now me with a long pause "wait a min.....is your car red with a blue engine bay?"

about 2 or 3 years ago dono emailed me this link and i saved it wanting to do this, but could never find a blower that was in good shape, and wouldnt cause me to redo my mortgage . guess he now has gotten revenge on me for sending him a link for a new turbo that was for sale near us years back lol

http://forums.corral.net/forums/5-0-5-8-engine-tech/1405386-pizano-method-sbf-roots-foxbody.html

"yea! how did..."
me cutting him off before he could finish "do you have any idea how much money your about to cost me?! i have had your build thread bookmarked for years wanting to do that!!!! you are the reason why i am doing this lol!"
"really? that is cool! so your putting this in a explorer? i have a 96 5L that i wanted to play with, but dont have the time"
me "oh yea? you should go to a site called serious explorations. i have my trucks build thread on there. go there and search either vrooomzoomboom, or evil, and thats me"
pauses again "wait a min.......is your truck black with blue true fire???"
me "um....yea....?"
"DUDE! i have seen your truck on that site! THAT is exactly what i wanted to do with mine! your truck is pretty freaking awesome!"

what the hell are the odds? i ended up talking to him a few times, and for hours as well. REAL cool cat. his name is sal. he had a another blower as well and in hind sight i should have taken that one. it was a vmp tvs. both that one and this one supposedly are brand new take offs.......and dirt cheep as well.

so with that locked in, i knew the snout would be too short, and would need a m112 snout. not wanting to pull mine, once again started searching for one. i really wanted to get one from http://stiegemeier.com but they were way too pricey for me. then once again, i find one from the province thats on the other side of me for cheep!

36114122_10155366131087513_8324877385476341760_n.jpg

supposedly fully rebuilt and cheep as well. he had a pulley to go with it, but i declined on it. i am going to order a metco 2.7 and hope its going to be small enough.
i am waiting on my knock off air gap style carb intake to come it, but its back ordered until the end of july which really sucks, but cant do anything about it. that and with the temp being in the what feels like the thousands here lately, im good with sitting in my house with the a/c going.
its just a cheepy professional products prp54031

PRP54031.jpg

this way, if i screw up cutting it up, im not out a ton of money. only worry is that its a real cheap intake, and will twist and warp everyplace it can when i cut it up.

i did do the first step today, and changed the snouts

35886286_10155366131057513_7760186200773623808_n.jpg

first problem, but i expected it.

36033425_10155366131237513_5281970636254609408_n.jpg

if i use the m122, it will sit too far forward then i should. this time i am going to make this the way i should have done with the m112, and thats with a innercooler.
now the problems i know of off the top of my head are going to be this. i knew the blower was going to be real wide. fourpoint sent me a old gasket of his a while back that i saved, and i put it on the motor i pulled out of celly's truck. wide is a understatement. just like goggles did, i am going to be cutting the mount tabs off the sides of the blower case, then drill and tap them from the bottom therefor, having the blower bolt to the intake plate that i will have to make from the bottom hoping the fuel rails clear . if not, the i will be shaving the fuel rails as well as how far down the injectors will sit. next will be redoing the heater core hard lines. they will end up being in the way of the fuel rails on the passengers side, so i will have to find a fitting going into the intake and eliminate the hard lines all together but also figuring out a way to put the sensor back in. then will also have to make sure i have the back spacing correct for both the pulley alignment, but not so far back that its going to hit the firewall. he sent a elbow with the blower, but i will end up making a new one. these are just the problems fitting the blower to the motor.
the truck is a whole new can'o worms.

36045394_10155366131407513_5304072267376885760_n.jpg

so off the top of my head, the battery is going to be moved. not sure if i am going to stick it in the back of the truck, or figure out a way to put it on the passengers side. then there is the wiring that will have to be changed around. then the vacuum lines. then the throttle cables. the oil dip stick tube. i think i might have to either move the power steering reservoir or find a different one to use. it will also be in the way of how ever i decide to route the intake tube. change the coil pack location. reroute the egr. that one i think i might just do a tube extension going from the TMH egr tube to the blower. then there will be however i run lines going to and from the cooler if and when it goes in.
my buddy gord that painted evil thinks im nuts for doing all this to "bolt on" a bigger supercharger. i just told him, with a truck that has zero aftermarket support, you gotta get creative and make stuff. that and last time i was at the drag strip, i was pissed i didnt get into the 12's. this should take care of that....as long as i dont split the block. either way, i love the fact that i can hand mustangs, camaro's and such their ass with a suv. it rubs the salt in the wound even more lol. however, there is no chance in hell i am getting this done this summer, or the possibly the winter. i am thinking next spring. thats if i can pull it off. if not, well, i tried because this is a tad over my head....hell lets face it, its also over a vast majority's head the way i want it done but if i can do it, hopefully i will also get the front tires off the ground on launch!
but for now, she will be driven with the m112 on it. sucks to because she seems to be running real nice right now.
sorry for the long winded post. i dont get out as much as i should i guess.

Can't wait to see how this goes ,

Another Blower? The need for speed is more addicting than drugs, and you sir, are a full blown addict. (pun intended)

Would it be easier to pull the engine to re-configure the bay? You can work the engine on a stand this way too.

Keep the long posts coming please. I for one, love the back stories, and build ups, that accompany the updates. 3 word posts are boring and mindless AF, and shows zero interests by the poster. I do not go for that "Shortest post wins" BS. The Parts seller story you just shared, was awesome, thanks for sharing that! These long winded informative posts, are what separates the one hit wonder posts, and the classics that last the test of time. I might not say much on posts I follow, but I am reading them fully.

yea, ever since i watched my capri trailer off into the sunset without me owning it anymore the speed bug hit again full boar. that and i had to laugh a week or two ago when i went out for cruise night and stopped at one of the spots, 3 guys followed me in by walking behind evil. until i parked. they wanted me to pop the hood. they said they HAD to see what was under the hood after hearing it idle by them. lumpity, lumpity, lumpity.
i do have celly's old motor sitting on a cradle here, so it will be used for mock up. the only nice thing about it is that if crap falls into the motor, it wont matter. i know the motor is toast and will need to come apart at some point if i ever need or want to use it.

box number 3 came in today.....sorta

36650702_10155387441292513_4712146836784152576_n.jpg

i was, or i should say i did order a professional products air gap intake. however, after i ordered it, the guy found out its back ordered until the end of july. and who knows, it might get pushed back further. as i mentioned before, one big worry i had using that intake was how bad might it warp and twist on me when i cut it up. last week while looking at local classifieds, i tripped across a edelbrock air gap that someone had for sale, brand new in the box for $50 more the the PP intake. no brainier if you ask me. the guy even dropped it off for me. i said to him its gong to be sacrilegious for what im going to do to it.
he had walked past evil and said "oh? is it going on your truck?"
i told him "part of it" as i opened the door to the shed. thats when he saw the m122 on the bench.
"oh, i see what your going to do. your mounting the blower on the intake"
kinda. everything from the runners up is getting chopped off
his eyes got real big when i said that. i explained to him a little more what i was going to do. he looked very interested lol
i had said that this is going to replace the supercharger thats on the truck now
"wait.....you have one on there now????"
i opened the hood for him to look at. he mumbled something about christ, i dont think he was religious however. "what the.....this thing has trickflow heads on it to!?"
yup, its a 347, not a 302. he actually went silent lol.
"MAN! im keeping your number. when you get the new one on, if you want to sell this set up here, i am interested. VERY interested"
there is a short list of people that already want the m112 setup lol.
but anyway, i now have my lower intake. i might start cutting it up this weekend depending how much time i have. might have to strip the motor that was in celly's truck, and that will have priority over this, so i will have to see what happens.

Back