• Register Today It's free!

Engine removal

stevesmustang

Reaction score
City, State
Jerome, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 XLS 4 Door 4.0 liter
Ok now i have time to work on this headache again. Everytime i turn around i need a special tool or have to do other things. Anyways my question is do you access the torque convertor bolts through the starter hole? I am used to removing a panel or cover to get to the convertor bolts. I am sure i can get to them this way but i want the easiest and the right way. Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok now i have time to work on this headache again. Everytime i turn around i need a special tool or have to do other things. Anyways my question is do you access the torque convertor bolts through the starter hole? I am used to removing a panel or cover to get to the convertor bolts. I am sure i can get to them this way but i want the easiest and the right way. Thanks in advance.

Not sure about this car, but that's always how I've done it in all the cars I've removed engines from. Although, they were all transverse motors.

I guess the big longitudinal V8s usually do have that pan that shields the lower part of the engine with the open area that's normally exposed on say a Th-400 or Th-350... (or whatever the ford equivelant is) but never bothered to remove one of those...

Yes, they are accessed through the starter hole. I just used a long extension and came out by the radiator to loosen them.

Thanks

Thanks guys. Thats what i figured. But i wanted to ask all you you guys first.:)

I need suggestions on engine install

Ok i need suggestions on how to put the motor back in. I know it sounds like i am a dummy on this, but the intake is plastic so i cant hook to it, the heads are aluminum and afraid to hook to them. I want to atleast bolt the pass side head on before motor goes back in the truck. Because when i turn the motor over to do the convertor bolts the chain will fall down. i did the rubber band the chain to the cassettes method but am afraid to install the pass side head and risk the chain falling down and binding, it did while i was rotating the motor to clean the pistons off, i had the pass side cam gear in and the cassettes rubberbanded and it still wants to fall, plus you cant install the head on the pass side with the cam gear in the chain or the cassettes will break again. I have removed and installed alot of motors but not one of these and i want to make it easy and not break anything. thanks Steve

Ok i need suggestions on how to put the motor back in. I know it sounds like i am a dummy on this, but the intake is plastic so i cant hook to it, the heads are aluminum and afraid to hook to them. I want to atleast bolt the pass side head on before motor goes back in the truck. Because when i turn the motor over to do the convertor bolts the chain will fall down. i did the rubber band the chain to the cassettes method but am afraid to install the pass side head and risk the chain falling down and binding, it did while i was rotating the motor to clean the pistons off, i had the pass side cam gear in and the cassettes rubberbanded and it still wants to fall, plus you cant install the head on the pass side with the cam gear in the chain or the cassettes will break again. I have removed and installed alot of motors but not one of these and i want to make it easy and not break anything. thanks Steve

Steve, unless there is something drastically different with the Ford engines, you should have NO PROBLEM attaching the leveler chains to the all four sides of the engine at the cyl heads. They are MORE than capable of supporting the engine.

If you watch the TV shows... many guys pull and re-install engines by nothing more than a carburetor plate attached to an ALUMINUM intake attached to a solid cast iron big block!!!

You should be fine by attaching it to the cyl heads.

I'd also say that the heads should easily support the engine weight. As the previous mentioned that many people have removed/installed engines from a carb plate attached to an aluminum intake with no issues. Good luck!

thankyou

I have the motor in and trying to finish. You guys are all a bunch of help, i will post all the pictures when i am done on the cassette change when i am done. I would of been done already but i have 2 daughters i have custody of and have to take them to visit and stay with their grandma every so often and its 70 miles one way:)

Back