Engine Replacement/Rebuild Questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine Replacement/Rebuild Questions

Rickwhite1991

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 UP
Hi guys, Shout from Australia here.

Looking at getting my hands on a cheap 3rd gen, with a wrecked v8. Now it comes with a V8 from a 2nd gen aswell.

Basically my questions are, can the 2nd gen engine just plug straight in, if not what are the options for a rebuild (dont know what went wrong with it yet, genna have to get the engine out and pull it down to figure that out) and lastly, is it possible to put a V6 engine in? I assume probably not but worth asking anyway lol.

Thanks, Rick

The 2nd gen uses a 5.0 V8 vs the 3rd gem 4.6l engine. I doubt it'd be plug and play, but can't say from experience.
From what others have said on this forum, V6 mounts up differently to the tranny than the V8. Bell housing is allegedly different, even the the trans model name may be the same.

Two entirely different motors. Not just displacement wise.

2nd Gen: Ford 302 (4.9L, named 5.0L) Windsor-(Family Name) , Push Rod V8, 16 valve

3rd Gen: Ford Triton-(Family Name) Modular 4.6L, Single Over Head Cam, 16 valve.

The 302W is an engine from the 60's. Along with the 289W and 351W. I love the 351W personally. Great bullet proof motor.

The Triton is a motor from the 90's. Very different from the Windsor. The 16 Valve motors are great engines that are bullet proof. I am new the 4.6L as for driving it but so far it seems ok.

Personally I wish I had the 302W in my 3rd gen, but the 4.6L isn't too bad (just a bit gutless!);):D

Do not attempt to put anything other than what came in the truck back in it. I repeat DO NOT PUT ANYTHING DIFFERENT IN THE TRUCK. I tried this. It turns out to be a nightmare. There are too many systems that are all intertwined that will make you want to just set it on fire. Not worth the hassle. Rebuild the 4.6 ( pretty easy) or replace it with a working engine.

Back