• Register Today It's free!

explorer rebuild questions

jme94xlt

Reaction score
City, State
Cookeville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 ZJ
have a few questions concerning future rebuild (in the planning stage) of my 94 xlt 4wd.

how much (on average) does a complete engine rebuild cost, with performance upgraded parts (including pistons, etc)? i remember someone posting a link to a site that had performance engine parts specifically for ford engines, but i can't find that thread anymore... maybe someone will remember.

this will be a daily driver AND an off-roader. is there anything that i should consider not doing if i'm planning on keeping it as my daily driver, like extreme offroad modifications? tire size? etc?

what exactly does a solid axle conversion, to say the dana 44 in front / dana 60 in rear do for the truck?

i'll continue to post any other questions...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I could be wrong, but I think a complete rebuild usually costs $1200-1500 on average. The performance parts site is www.vanirtech.com

Many members have wild offroad machines that are still daily drivers. I'd recommend some lift that's 5-7": either a solid axle swap or the 5.5 superlift; probably the spring over axle in the rear. Other members can give you some info on the axles.

If you have an auto (a4ld), you way want to consider "beefing it up" if you plan on doing offroading........

or you can just do what i did.....(look below)

:D

Alec, thanks for the site. I was looking for that.

Jordan

Are there any sites like that that are for a 5.0L....

Back