Engine Stalled on highway this morning | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine Stalled on highway this morning

vonnie

Reaction score
City, State
Mount Vernon, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 EXP XLT 4x4 V6 4.0
On my way to work this morning my engine stalled.

The low oil pressure light on my dash lit up as well
as the service engine soon light. I also think the
Emission System light lit up. The truck started right back
up again and drove as if nothing was wrong with it.
No strange noises, nothing.

When I got to work I checked the oil, air filter
and the belts too. Everything is fine.

Any ideas? They guys at work told me to start by
replacing my fuel filter. I did fill up my tank with
gas last night before going home.

2005 Ford Explorer 4X4 XLT
62,000 miles
V6 - 4.0

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

were you stopped or in motion? Mine died when i was stopped at a drive up atm and in gear. I was told it could be the IAC. They apparently are relatively cheap and easy to replace. Someone on here said they pulled theirs off, and cleaned it out but I cant remember who that was. But since its cheap and easy to fix, you could try that, and then if it continues, do your fuel filter. I am doing my IAC next payday and hope it fixes my problems lol

I was driving down a hill, at about 35 mph, when the truck stalled. Thankfully there was a parking lot I was able to coast into. I had my oil changed yesterday and the fuel filter replaced. So far it has not stalled again.

I purchased my Explorer at an auction about 6 months ago. A trucking company that went out of business owned it. So I don't know any of the history of the vehicle. I'm hopeful that they took good care of it.

I did run a report on carfax before the auction and there were no red flags. I only paid $7000 for it and its a 2005. I think I got a great deal.

I'm also going to look up the IAC. Thank you for mentioning that. You will have to post here and let me know if you think it fixes your problem.

It might still be storing a trouble code that would provide a clue. You won't find an IAC on an '04 or '05 Explorer. Everything is controlled by the PCM starting with 2004.

I had a similar issue with my 05 EB. I was coasting at about 35 mph and the car just beeped and rpms dropped to 0. Dash was lit up with the check engine, etc.

I managed to pull over, throw it into park, turn the ignition all the way off and then turned the key and it started up without a hitch. It's been fine for the last 1k miles or so... very odd.

MY 2004 4.0 started stalling on the highway randomly, dealer replaced the fuel pump and filter under warranty, problem solved.

Moving stall

My 2005 Eddie Bauer V8 has done this twice in the last 6 months. Both times it happened after a road trip and I'm not sure what is happening.

The first time I was on a highway at 65, then on a 30mph road for about 5 minutes. I slowed down to turn into a hotel and it just died. "Low Oil Pressure" light came on, but not much else. I turned key off and it restarted with no problems and full oil pressure, normal temperature and running great.

The next time was after another road trip, I had made multiple stops at red lights and was again, turning a corner and it died again with no warning. Luckily, the car in the opposite lane was turning left, so i didn't hit her, but it was actually a little scary.

If this happens when you are moving, you lose power steering, brakes, everything, so the vehicle is difficult to control.

I thought I was the only one having this problem until I read this forum. Is there a simple answer for this?

Were you using the cruse control and holding the coast button? They will stall out at about 30 MPH or so when doing that. I do beleave there is a PCM flash to fix this problem.

No cruise control

I don't know about everyone else, but I was not using cruise control at the time. I was slowing down to turn at the lake on one occassion and turning onto my street on the other. I haven't ever replaced the fuel filter, so that will be my first step and I'll look at the other stuff if that doesn't fix the problem.

Back