• Register Today It's free!

engine stalls

jreece04

Reaction score
City, State
Tucson, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
I have been searching the threads for a few weeks now and can not seem to find someone with the same problem. My 92 x stalls when ever I drive at highway speeds for an extended period of time (2+ HOURS) I also have had it stall going up into the mountains but it only happens on right corners. after letting it sit for about 45 min it will run great. The last time it stalled I was driving from phoenix to tucson az. It was about 90 miles into the trip, I had a little more then a 1/4 tank of gas and it was 100 degrees out. the engine was running warm but still within the normal range. I managed to nurse it to a gas station and after adding gas (only 12 gallon to fill) it ran great.
When it starts to stall if I can keep the rpms way up 3000+ it seems to keep running but if they fall below I can stomp on the pedal and nothing will happen.
also when this happens I sometimes here a clicking noise like the timing just before I start to have problems.

is this a fuel pump problem, filter, IAC, PCV. I am at a loss.
please help

If it is indeed only happening when you are lower on gas (1/4 tank or so) my guesse would be the fuel pump. You can put a gauge on the fuel rail and when it has problems, check the fuel pressure.. If its low it is most likely the pump. I don't think a fuel filter would would give you this type of symptom.. and I don't think the IAC wouldn't either..

~Mark

Thanks, that is what I was starting to think

Back