• Register Today It's free!

engine stalls when in drive

phat98sport

Reaction score
City, State
explorerville CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer Sport
i have a 98 x sport with 45,000 miles over the summer i had the tranny rebuilt now my question is recently the check engine light has come on and if i put the car in drive at a light or something it will stall but it will also jerk the car and rattle a lot while stalling and if i put it into first it will not stall has anybody else expirences this problem i brought it to the shop last week the replaced a valve or something on the throttle body (250$)and it is still doing it so they again have the car again any suggestions

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dont knopw about the problem, but you had better shorten that SIG before Gerald gets to it!

6 lines is the MAX

Check your IAC (Idle Air Control)

It's a little motor on the intake manifold that controls your idle.

The reason it's rough before it dies is your engine isn't designed to idle that low.

aight ill check that out but right now they are saying it is the wiring going to the torque convertor (is there really wiring going to it also isnt it hydrauliclySP? controlled) thanx for your help

also is this better for my sig )
)
V

Hmm i think the only wiring there is the turbine speed sensor if i'm not mistaken. Seems strange though...your problem seems very similar to others who have had problems with their IAC.

Actually, it could be the torque converter. If memory serves me, if it is not funtioning properly, you will jerk/stall out in drive (similar to a manual tranny if you don't give it gas/pop the clutch like people do when they first learn to drive a manual). People with more tranny knowledge should be able to confirm. Does the truck idle fine in park/neutral?? only stalls/bucks in drive??? then I'd say it is the tranny.

Ford's damn auto-shut off switch

Hey,

I had a similar problem about half a year ago. I would be driving anywhere along the highway where ever and it would just shut off. I mean everything would an I would come to a complete stop. I sent it to Ford and they found out that there is a little harness undernieth the passenger side of the console (i think) called the fuel shut off switch. And they found out that it was loose and it was coming undone. The reason for this device is for when you get into a serious accident it automatically pulls apart, causing no more fuel to go to the engine. Which obviously would shut the engine off completely. The reason for this device was to prevent big fires and engines from blowing up is what we concluded.

you might want to check this out just in case
i went ahead and taped mine up so this will never happen again. mine came undone probably from many offraod explorations and partying in the car with friends.

hope this helped
lata

When my torque converter went out (oh what a great memory that is) mine would do the same thing. It would jerk and shake while it was stalling and ultimately die. I would go back to that transmission shop and demand a FREE fix.

Back