• Register Today It's free!

Engine swap question

matt98sport

Reaction score
City, State
Elliot Lake, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer Sort, 4.0L
Hey my name is matt and im new to this forum. I'm not an expert when it coems to ford engines and transmissions, so id lvo some help.

so Ill get right to the point, i have a 98 sport with a 4.0 SOHC
Im wondering if this engine
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stor...goryId=27101&parentCategoryId=10763&langId=-1

if not, is there one that will that i can buy brand new? Also what transmission and tcase will i need to use with this engine? im going to be sticking with 4.10 gearing and am going to be doing a solid front axle (dana44) swap with a drivers side drop i'll be keeping the ford 8.8 in the rear for now with a spring over axle conversion.

Any help is appreciated

Seeing as a '98 X actually had the option of a 302 motor it shouldn't be that bad. You would want a 4R70W trans with that. There is a lot of info around here on the forums about engine swaps. Searching would be your next best step.

About a 4x4 t-case...those of us who are lucky enough to have 302 in their stock X, know there is not an option for 4x4, only AWD or 2WD. Having said that, a majority of threads I have read on here about AWD to 4x4 swaps were done in a 4 door, so there may be some fitment issues (ie. drive shaft shortening, different gas tank, modifying the tranny support). In addition to all this you will need an Advanced Adaptors part to mate the 4R70W trans to the t-case you have in your X currently.

So there is a lot to think about. Go ahead and familiarize yourself with the forums, it is a wealth of knowledge.

First of all welcome to the best Explorer site there is. Second of all, there is a ton of info on this site for doing a 302 swap. Luckily for you, your 2nd gen Explorer's front end is already set up for a 302. Here's what I know (and there are people here who know a lot more than I do about this topic...):

That's a 302 with GT-40 heads and an E303 or B303 cam you're looking at. Yes, that will fit in your truck. A 1" body lift will help A LOT with clearances, esp. the pan etc.

Off the top of my head, there are several transmissions you can use with that:
1) AOD(E)
2) AOD
3) 5r55e?? or whatever the V8 Explorers came with
4) and probably one of the Cx transmissions

That engine you're looking at would outperform your SOHC V6...if you want to spend the $$$ on it. If you don't want a crate 302 engine, then you can look for donors from:

96-01 V8 Explorer (already has GT-40 heads I believe, and is EEC-V, which is good)
89-94 Mustang (89 was first year of the Mass air stangs--and are EEC-IV)
89-94? Lincoln Mark7 or Mark8 (fast cars)
90's Crown Vic (not recommended)

Those above are EFI (fuel injection). If you want carb then you can go way back with the 302. 87?-88 Stangs were speed density and I don't recommend messin with that.

You should do a search of this site, it has a lot of 302 swap info.

Back