Engine swap questions??? Help PLEASE!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine swap questions??? Help PLEASE!!!

Jay801

Reaction score
City, State
Salt Lake City, Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 XLT & 02 Limited
I recently saw on youtube ford rangers powered by cummins 4bt diesel engines. Can these engines fit under a 3rd generation X?? If possible what kind of mods would I be looking at??? With all this forward momentum on lift kits, larger tires are a must and the small 4.6 just cant move these Xs like a diesel can. Any information is appreciated. Thanks

I recently saw on youtube ford rangers powered by cummins 4bt diesel engines. Can these engines fit under a 3rd generation X?? If possible what kind of mods would I be looking at???
Of course its possible, just throw enough money, skillset, and time into it. The vehicle is a machine that's mostly metal, it can be modified and altered provided the skillset and resources exist.

With all this forward momentum on lift kits, larger tires are a must and the small 4.6 just cant move these Xs like a diesel can. Any information is appreciated. Thanks
I dont think you don't need a diesel to make it move, just regear the axles to counter the increase in tire radius and it will accelerate at about the same rate as a stock Explorer. Lift kits for the third generations are nothing more than spacers - they don't add that much weight.BTW, why do you need to accelerate faster? Put it in LO range if you need more torque for off roading (or swap in a selectable t-case if you have an AWD).

Thanks for your help, i dont know much about regearing, but wat ratio would you recommend for 305/50/r20's?
Thanks again

Back