• Register Today It's free!

Engine Temp

tomcat1112

Reaction score
City, State
Las Cruces, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 4.0 L
Once i relocated to the desert in New Mexico my '92 4.0 will not hold coolant in the coolant storage. After the engine heats to a normal temp the coolant seams to drip from the drivers side of radiator at the bottom. I dont know exactly where the leak is coming from. Once i drive it for over 30 minutes or so the engine temp. becomes higher than normal. the only way to resolve this issue is to put more coolant in the storage compartment. Anyone have any ideas or where i should start troubleshooting at?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would start by checking the hose clamps on the lower rad. hose. It also exits the rad. om the lower drivers side.

Check the seam on the rad. Those crimped on units get weak after they get heated up good and pressure tested.

Three possibilities come to mind:

1. The hose that goes from the radiator to the tank is leaking, replace or cut back an inch. Check to see if it's leaking up by the radiator cap.

2, Lower hose leaking like peties3 suggests at the connection. Is there coolant above the leak?

3. Bad radiator. My last radiator only leaked when cool, after it warmed up it would seal. As 1ironmike suggests the crimps are weak points

You can buy leak detector that you put in the coolant to narrow it down exactly, but a carefule inspection should narrow down the source. Let us know what you find

1. The hose that goes from the radiator to the tank is leaking, replace or cut back an inch. Check to see if it's leaking up by the radiator cap.
I discovered this on my road trip I took recently. A zip tie around the hose at the radiator worked great.

You could try a pressure test..........radiator shop will help you.

Aloha, Mark

Back