Engine won't rev past 2100 RPMs

Firebird!

Reaction score
City, State
Lakeland
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Eddie Bauer
Hello - I got '02 Ford Explorer RWD V6
Yesterday, when my wife was driving to college something happened so she could not pick up the speed. We got the car towed to our house. I looked at it today: It starts and idles fine, but when I push throttle it goes okay till about 2100 rpms and then it just struggles to go any higher. Feels like the engine is working harder and harder with more throttle, but the rpms still won't go any higher. No engine light/codes came up, so everything on dash board is usual.
Any Idea what could be the problem - or where should I start looking?
Thank You

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Common - guys - nobody got any ideas?

I'm having similar problems and still haven't found a solution. I'll be tinkering all weekend though so hopefully I'll have ideas for you.

check fuel pressure, sounds like a clogged fuel filter, hopefully, and not a pump.
Any noises? to be safe Id try and have someone check it out on a hoist for drivetrain problems, cv joints, bearings, rear parking brake pads. . .

Just finished replacing the filter, almost cured, but I think my pump is going out too. But for under $20 for filter and removal tool, I'd start there first.

Okay, got the car up today and heard some grinding noise underneath. Listened with the Mechanic's Stethoscope and find out that the noise coming out from one of the cats. Got the 02sensor that right before that cat out, started the engine and rpms got way up. So I am pretty sure I have a faulty cat.

Clogged cat it should be. My friends old 90's f250 had that. Ford replaced the whole motor on that one before they realized it was the catylic converter.

I was gonna say Cats right away! My Exhaust guy told me not to worry about them until you can't get over 35 mph! I would prolly do something sooner, but thats just me.

Back