Engine won't start - fuel supply issue suspected | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine won't start - fuel supply issue suspected

Ghost.Rider

Reaction score
City, State
Baltimore, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer
Just suddenly stopped. Had the vehicle for years. Was backing into driveway when engine quit. If I use starter fluid, engine runs momentarily. When turning the key on, I hear the fuel pump running for 1-2 seconds, as usual. Went to check pressure at fuel rail. Initially good pressure, then once disconnected from check, seems no fuel is getting to fuel rail. Suspected contaminants as vehicle is not driven very often. Replaced fuel filter. Still no fuel seems to get getting to the fuel rail. Very hard to follow lines to fuel rail.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

At this point, my question would be, is the pump running during the low pressure condition. If I follow your diagnosis correctly, after you hook up your pressure gauge and turn the key on, the pump runs and you have good pressure. But the pressure drops off when you try to start the engine. So, the next thing I would do in this diagnosis is to determine whether the pump is running while trying to start the engine.

Well, no formal pressure gauge used. May run to harbor freight to get one. However I do hear the fuel pump running for a couple of seconds with key on. When I replaced the fuel filter, while the filter was off, I did the key trick and fuel squirted out, so I do not suspect the fuel pump. However there is no pressure at the fuel rail after the fuel filter was attached.

At this point, my question would be, is the pump running during the low pressure condition. If I follow your diagnosis correctly, after you hook up your pressure gauge and turn the key on, the pump runs and you have good pressure. But the pressure drops off when you try to start the engine. So, the next thing I would do in this diagnosis is to determine whether the pump is running while trying to start the engine.

You need to get a fuel pressure gauge, either purchase one or rent from Advanced or NAPA.

Check:

- fuel pressure with key on, engine off to see if the pump is priming the fuel rail
- fuel pressure while the car is idling
- fuel pressure with car parked but rev it to 1500-2000 rpm
- does it hold pressure for 10-15 minutes when car is turned off

Could be fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump relay, EEC relay or wiring. Less likely but could be clogged fuel lines, wiring.

Also, just as a quick "check", swap the relays for the blower and the fuel pump and see if it starts then. If so, then it's probably just the relay that's bad. Good luck!

When it won't start, turn the key on (don't turn the engine over) and see if your 'Check Engine' light comes on (assuming you don't have a burned out bulb).

If it doesn't, you're not getting power to your EEC and probably have a bad EEC relay. If that's the case, you'll get no spark, no fuel and definitely no start!

I chased an intermittent crank-no start condition for 2 weeks. Changed fuel pump relay and fuel pump and still had the issue.

Turned out to be a bad EEC relay.

Back