Engine Cranks, won't start. (Fuel maybe?) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine Cranks, won't start. (Fuel maybe?)

laserspeeddemon

Reaction score
City, State
Virgina Beach
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT
I don't post a lot, but I guess that's good as I don't have to work on my Explorer to often.

With that said; today, my Explorer died.

I drove to a home with a steep driveway, I let the Explorer idle for about 2-3 minutes (we weren't staying long). After about 1 minute the gas light came on; about 2-3 minute later it started to run REALLY rough at idle, it shook the whole truck. We were done, so I put it in reverse and before getting back 20 feet, it died. I tried to start it again, it would run for 1-2 second and then die again. After 2-3 times of that, it wouldn't do catch at all. The starter would spin the engine, but not catch.

I went and got about 2 gallons gas, but it still won't start.

I'm getting air, I got compression (at least in cylinder 1) and I am getting spark. Sniffed the compression tester and I didn't smell any fuel. Checked th fuse (OK). I switched a few relays around and the fuel pump relay worked the horn just fine, but the horn relay did not fix the fuel problem. I went UNDER the Explorer with my head near the gas tank and listened for the fuel pump to kick on when the the ignition was switched to on and I got NOTHING; not a peep. So I thinking it's the fuel pump. but I was wondering how load is the fuel pump, is it audibly loud or barely noticeable?

Also is there anyway I can apply power DIRECTLY to the fuel pjmp to see if it whirs?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I saw that as I was reading through the owner manual. I did check it. It did not seem that the button was locked in the up position. I pushed it anyway and nothing changed.

This is another reason why I want to apply power DIRECTLY to the pump. I do this with my other vehicles to determine if there is a problem with the pump. On one occasion it actually saved me the work and money of replacing the fuel pump (turned out it was a bad wiring).

Is there away to apply power directly to the pump without having to drop the tank?

fuel pump relay

. . . Is there away to apply power directly to the pump without having to drop the tank?

You can remove the fuel pump relay and install a jumper across the contacts for pin 5 and pin 3. The pump should run continuously even when the ignition is off.
FuelPumpRelay.jpg

I know this was like a year ago, but I figured I give a resolution.

Fuel pump died. Dropped the tank and installed a new one. Filled up the tank and it started like a champ.

Back