Engine won't turn off | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine won't turn off

Frank.Daltveit

Reaction score
Hello,

First of all - sorry for bad english (from Norway)...

Last week my wife came home with my '95 Ford Explorer, telling me that the engine wouldn't turn off.

The engine did't turn off when I removed the cables from the battery. What I had to do was to remove 5 og the 6 spark plug cables. Then the engine turned off.

I can start the engine, but not shut it off. When I connect the battery, the engine are in the on-possiteion (where all the lights and engine light i the dash lights). I can also remove the key, and the car is still in this on-mode.

I also think that I can turn the key easier from the different position now, then before. But im not sure.

I have replaced the ignition lock sylinder - nothing happend.

I've heard some are talking about a acturator rod with a pin. What can I do?

Hello,

First of all - sorry for bad english (from Norway)...

Last week my wife came home with my '95 Ford Explorer, telling me that the engine wouldn't turn off.

The engine did't turn off when I removed the cables from the battery. What I had to do was to remove 5 og the 6 spark plug cables. Then the engine turned off.

I can start the engine, but not shut it off. When I connect the battery, the engine are in the on-possiteion (where all the lights and engine light i the dash lights). I can also remove the key, and the car is still in this on-mode.

I also think that I can turn the key easier from the different position now, then before. But im not sure.

I have replaced the ignition lock sylinder - nothing happend.

I've heard some are talking about a acturator rod with a pin. What can I do?

Most likely it's the ignition switch itself - the electrical part that the lock cylinder operates. Never replaced one in the Explorer, but it was an easy job in my Nissan.

Most likely it's the ignition switch itself - the electrical part that the lock cylinder operates. Never replaced one in the Explorer, but it was an easy job in my Nissan.
If my memory is correct,I have not replaced one on my Explorer either, it is on top of the steering column down by the firewall area. Sometimes you need to drop the steering column from the instrument panel. There is a long rod from the key cylinder to the actual switch. Hope this gets you started in tbe right direction.

Okay, I found what's wrong - but I don't know how to fix the problem.

The problem is that the acturator rod (or what it called), the thin plastic rod going from the key lock, and connected to the pin on the ignition switch is not moving. Actually, it seems like it is broken in two parts. Because when I turn the key, the part connected to the key lock is movin back and forth, but, the part that shall move the ignition switch is not moving.

So the rod is broken in two.

How can i fix this problem? Is it hard to remove the rod?

Back