ETHANOL FUEL, good or bad? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ETHANOL FUEL, good or bad?

04sleeper - Thank you for taking the time to join up. You are the only person I know that has real world experience with E85 hopefully you can answer any questions anyone here may have. Thanks again;)
No problem. Glad I could help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've kept track of it and it definitely gave me more power, and better fuel economy.

But like you said nobodys going to change anyone elses mind lol.

TeeJay4490 You are wrong about running higher octane fuel in your vehilce. The octane needs of a vehicle is determined by compression ratio and or forced induction. If you have a stock vehicle designed to run on 87 onctane and you run 93 in it "jsut becasue" then you are doing damage to your vehicle. The higher octane actually burns slower than the lower octane. By running higher octane you are creating unneeded/wanted heat and causing undue wear and tear on the engine. E85 is actually cleaner than gasoline by itself. It is when it is either used wrong or put into vehicles that it is not designed for that damage happens. Maybe instead of just saying "this new **** sucks" maybe you should do some research and back your caims up. There is no way on earth that you "got better mileage on 93 than 87" you got less......

E85 is terrible for motors and fuel lines. I would never use it.
@Teejay4490
What does E-85 do to motors and fuel lines? Ask that, because the Indy 500 has run on E-100% for many decades, at least until the ban on tank-filled gasoline. imp

It does NO damage to a properly designed fuel system. Running too high octane fuel in an engine designed to run on low octane fuel will do more way more damage than running E85 in a vehicle designed to run on E85

It does NO damage to a properly designed fuel system. Running too high octane fuel in an engine designed to run on low octane fuel will do more way more damage than running E85 in a vehicle designed to run on E85

the knock sensors prevent that kind of stuff from happening, unless the knock sensors are busted then there's really nothing to worry about.. it only hurts your pocket. The only reason it runs better is that higher octane gas (most of the stations) doesn't contain 10-20% ethanol or is not blended.

Back