Inside Of Transmission Pan, Good or Bad? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Inside Of Transmission Pan, Good or Bad?

BarryCarey

Reaction score
City, State
Waterville, Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer EB V8

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just realized this probably should have gone in Transmission section. Mods are welcome to move it.

Looks pretty clean to me and normal. Lift the magnet up and clean under it. Probably a slight sludge film there. How many miles since last fluid change? You the first owner?

Pan gasket is reusable.

Thanks for the input.

I pulled the magnet and gave it a good cleaning.

Not sure how long it has been. I bought it 2 months ago. There is a sticker under the hood that says a trans flush was done at 108k miles. It now has 134k.

Yep, that's how a healthy pan should look.

Did you fill it up the correct way with a pump while the engine was running and so on?

Yep, that's how a healthy pan should look.

Did you fill it up the correct way with a pump while the engine was running and so on?

Yeah, wasn't a fun experience. The pump I got from o'Rielly was horrible and leaked through the plunger.

Got about 7 quarts out. I put 8 quarts back into it. I feel like it could take another.

Barry, get the pump that looks like a soap dispenser and things will turn around. Actually makes it a chill job, and you will likely never miss wiping a dipstick of and reinserting over and over. You will like the precision of the standpipe, and become a full convert. Keep the suction gun, they are absolutely fantastic for power steering reservoir "flushes" and brake jobs for pulling brake fluid out of the master cylinder.

Barry, get the pump that looks like a soap dispenser and things will turn around. Actually makes it a chill job, and you will likely never miss wiping a dipstick of and reinserting over and over. You will like the precision of the standpipe, and become a full convert. Keep the suction gun, they are absolutely fantastic for power steering reservoir "flushes" and brake jobs for pulling brake fluid out of the master cylinder.

I actually had that style of pump on the way from Amazon. But I decided I would rather do it that day instead of waiting. Serves me right for being impatient.

Back