Exhaust manifold question

shane10

Reaction score
City, State
MW
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLS
4WD
Hey all, planning on replacing both valve cover gaskets due to a leak, as well as intake manifold gaskets since I'll have it off. Not too worried about the whole thing besides the EGR pipe, I've sprayed it down with pb blaster a few times so hopefully it should come off easy.
While I have everything off I was also thinking about replacing exhaust manifold gaskets since I will have a lot of open room to work with everything else removed.
While inspecting everything I noticed that the rear most drivers side exhaust manifold stud/nut was broken off flush with the manifold, I was wondering the process to extract this, will a simple vice grip work, assuming there is enough bolt left to grab onto? I don't know of any exhaust leaks so I'm a bit apprehensive to even start, but am at 200k miles so figure it's probably wise to change the gaskets out
And tips/recommendations are appreciated, thanks.

EDIT: 02' 4.0 XLS

hi
If they don't leak then leave them alone! If you do you can try vice grips, welding nut onto stud, or worst case drill then out and re-tap the holes. V6 usually does not have an issue with exhaust manifold studs as much as the V8's do.

hi
If they don't leak then leave them alone! If you do you can try vice grips, welding nut onto stud, or worst case drill then out and re-tap the holes. V6 usually does not have an issue with exhaust manifold studs as much as the V8's do.
Sound advice, if it ain't broke don't fix it. A mechanic suspected I had a manifold leak about 2-3 years ago, but considering he charged me 75$ to tighten one exhaust flange nut I didn't have the tools to reach (on the road), I assumed he just wanted my $1k. That's what I read as well, every manifold stud repair/removal thread I see are for the V8's.
I have what possibly sounds like an exhaust tick, but am unsure due to other engine noise. I'll see how the valve covers go and decide then, thanks

Dug a little deeper and it seems the stud is broken off flush with head, doubtful there is enough left to grab onto with anything, lacking the tools to extract and refuse to pay however many hundreds to fix. Will probably leave as is and hope a serious leak doesn't occur :(

Back