97 4.0 OHV Explorer Exhaust manifold question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 4.0 OHV Explorer Exhaust manifold question

travsbengals

Reaction score
City, State
Charlotte, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer OHV 4.0 4x4
Hello guys

I'm replacing the head gaskets and most all the other gaskets on my 97 Explorer 4.0 OHV. Never done anything like this before so I'm taking my time and trying to screw up as little as possible

I've gotten down to removing the exhaust manifolds from the head. I started on the passenger side. The bolts holding the exhaust manifold to the head I got loose. The bolts holding the manifold to the exhaust are not budging. I've been spraying PB blaster on there, heated it up, used impact wrench, nothin. I've just been working on one of the 2 bolts pretty much so far. I really don't wanna break the bolt(s). - http://s1168.photobucket.com/albums/r489/travsbengals/?action=view&current=P1010014.jpg

I'm wondering if I have to actually remove those bolts though.

2 of the bolts holding the manifold to the head are studs. One of the studs loosened inside the head so I can probably just take it out, the other one doesn't move yet. If I can get the other stud to turn, can I remove the studs from the head and not bother disconnecting the exhaust manifold from the exhaust? Can I just leave the exhaust manifold where it is and replace the head and manifold gaskets, then put the head back in?

This pick shows one of the 2 studs I'm referring to that screw into the head, top left nut(stud)

http://s1168.photobucket.com/albums...ravsbengals/?action=view&current=P1010013.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You don't have to remove them. If you can get the nuts off, just pull the exhaust hangers off and you will be able to move the exhaust system plenty far out of the way to remove the manifolds. Although, you don't have to remove the manifolds either. If you get the nuts off the studs or the studs out that hold the manifold to the head, you can pry the manifold far enough away to pull the heads. I think there are a couple of studs you might have to remove to clear the head and manifold, but not all of them need to come out to get it out of there.

Thanks a ton FIND, I'll give that a shot.

Unfortunately the manifold-to-block stud that is still tight into the block is closest to the exhaust. I got the nut off but the stud has a rectangle type head and I can't figure out a way to get it out. I'll try removing the exhaust hanger bolt and see if I can pull the manifold back far enough to clear the stud

I did a clutch on my 97 OHV recently. When I put my impact on the manifold to engine nut, it brought the whole (nut and stud) thing out.

Meanwhile, the Y pipe needed to be removed to drop the trans. I don't have heat so I ended up using my sawsall to cut the Y pipe and installed a new one, after I had my local shop clean up the manifolds.

Yea, the one of the manifold-to-block studs came out with the nut like you mentioned delta. The other stud stayed in and just the nut came off. I've been busy so I've just been spraying PB blaster on the exhaust manifold-to-exhaust bolts about daily for a week. Finally got them out this morning. Now the manifold is just held on by that stuck stud that goes into the block, I can't get the manifold out of the exhaust enough(even after removing the exhaust-to-manifold bolts) to clear that stud. Now that I got the exhaust bolts off I'm probably just going to pull the head and manifold out together.

Unfortunately, next up is the drivers side exhaust manifold, not looking forward to it

lol

Thanks a ton for your help guys, glad to be making some more progress

Back