• Register Today It's free!

exhaust replacement

qtacclia

Reaction score
City, State
louisville, ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 explorer sport
I have a bad cat and figured I might as well change them both with new 02 sensors. My question is what is the best muffler to replace factory with for towing. I have a small pop-up that i plan on towing this summer and I wondered what the best muffler was to replace with. I am replacing the cats with the magnaflow direct fit replacemnets.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I bought a Gibson Cat-Back from James at Henson Performance. I haven't installed it yet, so I can't comment on the sound or performance, but my research lead me to the conclusion that this was my most cost effective option.
I was told that the Gibson is quieter than the MAC, and makes a bit more torque, whereas the MAC is loud, and gives up a bit of torque, for a few more top end hp.
You could have a local shop make a custom exhaust, but unless you can cut a very good deal, it's probably going to cost more than the Gibson setup.
I also shopped around for price, and James is pretty much the best. Yeah, you might find it a couple of bucks less if you try real hard, but he's a great guy to work with, and he seems pretty knowledgable as well.

Personally I love my Mac it has a nice low smooth sound and a mean growl at normal acceleration. then gives you a good roar at WOT. My personal favorite plus its usually one of the best priced cat backs youll find

Use any muffler you desire, it doesn't really make a difference.

5.0L vs 4.0L SOHC

heres a vid of what mine sounds like on my 5.0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhG7lL4zOqY
lemme know what you think ^_^

I think there is a difference here. The 5.0L is naturally going to be "throatier" and probably sounds good w/ MAC or just about anything else. From what I was told, and what I've found in various exhaust threads on here, is that the MAC, on a SOHC 4.0L tends to be "buzzy" or even a little import "farty". I don't know.
Since the original poster didn't say what motor he has, I'm assuming it's a 4.0L SOHC, since it says he has a sport, next to his screen name.

really? i mean my friend ryan loves his dual Macs on his V6 mustang but to each his own i guess...

huh??????

Use any muffler you desire, it doesn't really make a difference.

:eek: On what do you base this opinion? It absolutley can make a big difference in both sound and performance. If muffler's/exhaust systems were all the same, than Flowmaster, Gibson, MAC, Hedman,Dynomax,etc...... wouldn't exist; or at least they would sell nothing but stock OE replacements.

Now, if what you're trying to say is that the upstream restrictions (Cats, for example) are such a choke point, that by the time it gets to the mufflers, any effect they may have is minimal....... Well, that might have a little bit of truth to it. Although cats are restricitve, I don't think that the ones on Explorers are so much so, that mufflers are irrelevant.

Apples to Oranges

really? i mean my friend ryan loves his dual Macs on his V6 mustang but to each his own i guess...

The Mustang has a completley different exhaust from the manifolds to the tip. Different harmonics/resonance. Even the underside of the vehicle can effect how the exhaust sounds. Not to mention that the Mustang also has a different cam profile than an Explorer; which also effects the exhaust tone.

But, as you said, to each his own. What I like, you may hate; and vice versa.

I did consider the MAC, but I was told it would become annoying very quickly on a daily driver.

yea they do tend to have a bit of loud drone i mean personally i love it lol sometimes ill turn off my radio roll down my windows and listen to my exhaust lol but im a lil odd i guess lol

:eek: On what do you base this opinion? It absolutley can make a big difference in both sound and performance. If muffler's/exhaust systems were all the same, than Flowmaster, Gibson, MAC, Hedman,Dynomax,etc...... wouldn't exist; or at least they would sell nothing but stock OE replacements.

Now, if what you're trying to say is that the upstream restrictions (Cats, for example) are such a choke point, that by the time it gets to the mufflers, any effect they may have is minimal....... Well, that might have a little bit of truth to it. Although cats are restricitve, I don't think that the ones on Explorers are so much so, that mufflers are irrelevant.
I base my opinion on what he asked. He asked what muffler for towing (obviously looking for power), and power wise there really isn't any difference.

i got single in and dual out 40 series flows on my 01 sport and i love it and previous owners of my sport had the 70 series on there and i didnt like it at all.

I base my opinion on what he asked. He asked what muffler for towing (obviously looking for power), and power wise there really isn't any difference.

Completely false statements. That opinion is just plain wrong - sorry. A more free flowing exhaust over stock will absolutely provide mild power gains - even more so combined with other power upgrades and even a OTS or pro-tune.

have you thought of getting a programmer and a tune for towing?

Completely false statements. That opinion is just plain wrong - sorry. A more free flowing exhaust over stock will absolutely provide mild power gains - even more so combined with other power upgrades and even a OTS or pro-tune.
Sorry, there is no significant gain between different mufflers on our engines. I've seen muffler dyno tests on an engine making 350ish HP, the biggest difference between mufflers was like 6 HP, you're HIGH if you think it's going to make a big difference on a 4.0.

Sorry, there is no significant gain between different mufflers on our engines. I've seen muffler dyno tests on an engine making 350ish HP, the biggest difference between mufflers was like 6 HP, you're HIGH if you think it's going to make a big difference on a 4.0.

Firstly, I don't have a 4.0. Next, "SIGNIFICANT" in you own words is not a scientific or even objective term. Now that you're elaborating on your initial comment "it doesn't really make a difference," it is just a false statement period (1) and (2) 6HP 10 Hp 5 hp, whatever is a difference and one that can be noticeable in some scenarios. Most stock mufflers, including the ones on your 6, are heavily baffled/restricted while most of the aftermarket ones discussed on this board are much less so and even have straight-thru designs resulting in less backpressure and more tq/hp. Just take a look at some of the comparison dynos posted on this forum for proof.

Firstly, I don't have a 4.0. Next, "SIGNIFICANT" in you own words is not a scientific or even objective term. Now that you're elaborating on your initial comment "it doesn't really make a difference," it is just a false statement period (1) and (2) 6HP 10 Hp 5 hp, whatever is a difference and one that can be noticeable in some scenarios. Most stock mufflers, including the ones on your 6, are heavily baffled/restricted while most of the aftermarket ones discussed on this board are much less so and even have straight-thru designs resulting in less backpressure and more tq/hp. Just take a look at some of the comparison dynos posted on this forum for proof.

You are pretty much right on. As I've said, if they were no improvements to be had, all these aftermarket companies would have gone away a long time ago. What motor do you have, SubLo?

Also, to HahnsB2, your 4.0 is NOT the same as my 4.0L Your BroncoII would have come with an OHV, whereas my '99 Explorer has a more sophisticated SOHC. Yes, both are 4.0L, but they are not the same engine, just like a Jeep 4.0L is different. An OHV and a SOHC motor
work" differently, and have different intake/exhaust/etc... needs. SOHC motors, in Explorers or anywhere, tend to rev quicker and higher than a similar OHV. They also tend to make their power higher in the rpm range. This can have a SIGNIFICANT effect on exhaust system needs.
There are dyno proven aftermarket cat-back systems even for Corvettes, Ferraris, and Lamborghinis. If the manufacturers of these vehicles (some of the absolutely best engineered production vehicles on the planet) have left some performance on the table, with a simple exhaust change; then I think it's reasonable to assume that Ford would have definitely done so w/ the Explorer. There is certainly a greater need for them to make performance comprises in order to hold down production costs on a $30,000 SUV, vs $250,000 (or more) sports car.

Looking at your mods, you are clearly more of an offroader than a performance enthusiast. Maybe you should educate yourself more, on the more sophisticated aspects of engine operation (including exhaust) before making comments with nothing of any real substance to back it up. Search for books by an author named "David Vizard" They were published under "Cartech" and others were by SA Design. In particular, I'd start with " How to Build Horsepower" volume 1, David Vizard, SA Design. It has a yellow cover. Also, maybe try calling the tech dept of flowmaster or dynomax. Asking them to explain why you should want to buy their product, instead of a stock replacement.......
.....oh wait.... you DID buy a flowmaster 40, according to your sig. If there is NO benefit, why not spend $19.95 on a Maremont stock replacement muffler???? Afterall, HahnsB2, YOU said they are all the same :rolleyes:

You are pretty much right on. As I've said, if they were no improvements to be had, all these aftermarket companies would have gone away a long time ago. What motor do you have, SubLo?

Also, to HahnsB2, your 4.0 is NOT the same as my 4.0L Your BroncoII would have come with an OHV, whereas my '99 Explorer has a more sophisticated SOHC. Yes, both are 4.0L, but they are not the same engine, just like a Jeep 4.0L is different. An OHV and a SOHC motor
work" differently, and have different intake/exhaust/etc... needs. SOHC motors, in Explorers or anywhere, tend to rev quicker and higher than a similar OHV. They also tend to make their power higher in the rpm range. This can have a SIGNIFICANT effect on exhaust system needs.
There are dyno proven aftermarket cat-back systems even for Corvettes, Ferraris, and Lamborghinis. If the manufacturers of these vehicles (some of the absolutely best engineered production vehicles on the planet) have left some performance on the table, with a simple exhaust change; then I think it's reasonable to assume that Ford would have definitely done so w/ the Explorer. There is certainly a greater need for them to make performance comprises in order to hold down production costs on a $30,000 SUV, vs $250,000 (or more) sports car.

Looking at your mods, you are clearly more of an offroader than a performance enthusiast. Maybe you should educate yourself more, on the more sophisticated aspects of engine operation (including exhaust) before making comments with nothing of any real substance to back it up. Search for books by an author named "David Vizard" They were published under "Cartech" and others were by SA Design. In particular, I'd start with " How to Build Horsepower" volume 1, David Vizard, SA Design. It has a yellow cover. Also, maybe try calling the tech dept of flowmaster or dynomax. Asking them to explain why you should want to buy their product, instead of a stock replacement.......
.....oh wait.... you DID buy a flowmaster 40, according to your sig. If there is NO benefit, why not spend $19.95 on a Maremont stock replacement muffler???? Afterall, HahnsB2, YOU said they are all the same :rolleyes:
I'm well aware of the differences between the 4.0s (yes i've worked on POS jeep 4.0s too). I never compared an aftermarket muffler to a stock muffer, I was only talking about differences between aftermarket mufflers. I put exhaust on my vehicles for sound and never noticed any difference in power or gas mileage and didn't expect to. Never underestimate the power of the placebo affect, if you expect more power you can easily fool yourself into thinking you got more, I laugh at people that think they got 30HP from a CAI. On lower performance engines different aftermarket mufflers aren't going to make a significant difference, period. Untill someone runs some dyno runs on an explorer with different mufflers I stand by my claim. I also discovered my Dakota was missing the the air filter after I bought it, put a OEM style filter on it and noticed absolutely zero difference in the way it drove. I believe the placebo affect plays a big role in the "gains" everyone experiences.
Firstly, I don't have a 4.0.
Good thing I wasn't talking to you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I put a Gibson cat-back on my Sport Trac. It slid right on, no fuss no muss, only had to find some shorter bolts for where the flange bolts to the cat. Sounds good outside the truck, a little too loud when it's under load inside the truck, but the Sport Trac does have a side exit where the regular Explorer exhaust exits out the rear, so that could be it. My stock system was only a few months old and already covered in rust so I washed the Gibson with Dawn and roughed it up with some sandpaper before I painted it with silver hi-temp paint. Almost a year now and it still looks good.

Back