• Register Today It's free!

Exhaust system advice.

Brian Skinner

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Island NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 aerostar
I had a question about my exhaust system. On my 95 aerostar 3.0 v6, i noticed rust on the pipe after catalyst 2 on the y pipe, the mount between catalyst 2 and muffler is broke around the flex pipe and the pipe after the muffler. In my opinion i need a whole new exhaust system and my plan is within 5 years i either going to v8 it or do something else but im not sure yet what combo i want yet.1) should i put dual exhaust on it and what brand would be the best without the drone people complain about. This is both a city and interstate van, so itll see 75+ quite a few times.2) should i still install the y pipe like factory or should i do an h or x pipe in case i do a v8 setup. The reason im thinking of doing a v8 is for towing if i need to but i dont need a full size van and we wonnt part with the van. Any advice will greatly be appreciated since this van is now a 3 season vehicle since we have a taurus that will get us through the winter. Please help so i can get my van ready for the next spring. Thanks Brian

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You don't have too many exhaust options for this van unless your find a place which is willing to make a custom exhaust. As far as brands, you have Walker & AP for standard exhausts. I'm not sure if Borla makes a custom stainless steel exhaust.

Some sellers on EBay have stainless steel exhausts. Be very careful with them. A few years ago one guy sold me the center flex pipe which is supposed to be stainless steel. I'm sure that the flexible section was stainless steel, but the rest of it wasn't even though they claimed that it was. It was very poor quality, and cracked after a short time. The guy kept sending me emails asking for positive feedback, and wouldn't send me a replacement part. He claimed that it was custom made out of high density stainless steel. By the way, this part was around half the price of what it cost locally. Don't count on your V6 exhaust matching a V8 without having to make modifications.

Flex pipe

I've been curious as to why the Aerostar uses a flex pipe. Front engine, rear drive.....Just like my other vans have been, yet they didn't have a flex pipe.

The 3.0L or even the 4.0L would not benefit from a true dual exhaust. I'd replace it with a single larger pipe and have it exit in front of the rear tire. A 302 will fit in the engine bay but the only way you will get it in is through the bottom.

My stock exhaust was failing in a similar fashion. I would honestly just do what I did and take it to a general repeair shop and have them weld up whats there, especially if you're planning on a swap anyway. I can't imagine you'll see much improvement from dumping 100's in a custom exhaust, just to tear it out in a year. The shop cut out the bad parts, welded up a few sections of scrap pipe and a flange or two for $150. Quieter than ever, gas mileage is way better and power feels about the same.

I just replaced about 4' of the factory exhaust system on my 4.0 EB Aerostar. The flex pipe had completely rusted from the flange. The muffler also looked questionable so I decided to give the ol' girl some attention.

I bought a 2.25"(I think)/2" offset muffler, a 3ft section of pipe (ended up cutting some of it), and some exhaust clamps at Advance. Pieced it in and connected it to the factory tailpipe without incident.

It has been whisper quiet ever since. I'm of the mindset that the flex pipe is unnecessary.

Back