• Register Today It's free!

Exhaust....

aimisgoop

Reaction score
City, State
clearwater, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mercury Mountaineer
hey guys, ive decided to NOT do a grille guard(due to EVERYONE thinking itll look bad), instead im doing exhaust, id like to keep it single, but instead of exiting out the back passanger side under the rear bumper...i want it to exit behind the rear passanger tire....i was thinkin bout havin a kit fabbed up....but are their any specific KITS that look/sound good? im lookin for that flowmaster grumble :D, i was thinkin bout a fabbed kit containing.. 2 1/4 piping from the cat back, and a flowmaster 2 or 3 chamber...and maybe a nice polished tip...my truck has the 5.0 v8 in it..i know it wont sound like my stang does...but id like it to no longer whisper when i get on it. :D thanks
-dan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you seen this?

http://section525.com/rocket5979/tour-hi.wmv

Decide how loud you want it and pick from the choices of Flowmasters. Summitracing.com has the best prices that I've seen so far. I got mine for $98 shipped.

Probably should go with 2 1/2 pipes too.

i want it to have a nice grumble, but not obnoxious..thats why i was thinking a 2 chamber. i havent really found any KITS online...so i think imma have to have one fabbed up..

I just got my 50 Series put on today, it's hardly noticable in the cab unless I really get on it. Outside it's louder but pretty mellow for the most part. Nothing near to my old straight pipe, but it's a nice sound if you don't want it too loud.

Gibson might have what you're looking for, check out performanceproducts.com

ive never heard gibson exhaust...ive heard flowmaster...thats why im really hesitant on buyin anything other then it...i dont wanna buy an exhsut and have it sound ****ty...borla has one for $800!!:eek: , i would never pay that, well...unless it made my truck sound totally badass. but as for now..i guess its gonna be a custom setup..cuz i cant seem to find one that is EXACTLY what i want...there r quite a few exhausts out there....but i want one that dumps out behind the passanger rear wheel...gibson is the only one ive seen that dumps there...most come out the factory spot. :(

Just get it custom, once you pic out your muffler, you can get a shop to dump it out basically anywhere you want. A 2-chamber Flowmaster is going to be louder than a 3-chamber (40 Series vs. 50 Series). A 50 series SUV isn't going to be obnoxious but if you are really concerned then you could go with a 70 Series. You could buy the muffler and have custom bent pipes and it'll run you cheaper than a Gibson would, if you have an concern about cost.

cost isnt much of a concern...to an extent..i dont wanna spend more then like $400-500. i want it to have a nice throaty sound to it...not like overly obnoxious...but i want it to have a nice growl to it at highway cruising(2000-2800rpm)....ive been doing ALOT of thinking...and i dont wanna get somethin im going to regret...i was also now thinkin bout..somethin like a custom dual...dumpin one pipe out behind each rim with nice chrome tips, not realy big ones...prolly only like 2.5" also, maybe 2.75"....i dont really care about the power gains..i want a nice SOUND...and i want it to look nice...my truck has 22's on it..not stock rims..(just so u can get a mental image like i have:))

I was surprised at how mine growled so nicely tonight, sure I was putting sea foam in and it was kind of weird idle, but it was a nice deep sound, not too loud. This is on a 4.0 too. With your V8 it would sound sweet as hell. Is your muffler dual or single inlet?

the flowmaster 2 ch is dual inlet i think

Uhm.. no..

All Flowmaster 40's are single inlet/outlet. the 50's are direct replacements without any work. For the record, that is. ;)

In your stock setup, if you have dual inlets or just single, the shop could just Y-pipe the inlet to a single or just replace it, either way.

Hey guys i thought i would chime in on this one, i build custom mufflers and have over twenty on explorers now. I can build you anything you can dream up, custom dimensions, custom configurations, some what tune the exhaust sound to your likeing, etc. I can build in either steel or stainless and i can beat flowmaster prices hands down. Please check out my site for a little more info and sound/video clips. http://www.morgan-tec.com If you have any ? that are relate3d to exhaust please feel free to ask me, i have been doing this for about five years now and am very knowledgable in the subject. Thanks:cool:

Back