Explorer 2008 factory wheel alignment specs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer 2008 factory wheel alignment specs

fridayshoes

Reaction score
City, State
UK
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 2008
Does anyone have the factory wheel alignment specs for a 2008 Explorer (US model). My tyre dealer in Dubai reckons he hasn't got the data for my vehicle. If anyone could point me towards it or post it here I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What your tire dealer said makes no sense at all. The alignment machine that he uses will have the specifications in it already or he can reference them in his service manual. Sounds to me like your tire dealer doesn't want to look it up because he wants you to pay to have an alignment done and then you will know the tolerances allowed from the factory from the printout.

What your tire dealer said makes no sense at all. The alignment machine that he uses will have the specifications in it already or he can reference them in his service manual. Sounds to me like your tire dealer doesn't want to look it up because he wants you to pay to have an alignment done and then you will know the tolerances allowed from the factory from the printout.
It's not a Ford dealer, it's just a tyre business. I need two new tyres on the front anyway and the alignment & balancing will be included in the price.

Can I find the 2008 Explorer service manual online anywhere?

cheers

I understand what you are saying, but all the newer laser alignment machines with a computer interface already have the specifications loaded on it. They just hook the machine up, put in the model, year, etc. and the machine takes the measurements and then shows the current measurements with the allowed tolerances. They could even put it in as a 2006 Explorer and it would give the correct allowed tolerances.
As far as a service manual goes, there are always shop service manuals available through ebay.
All that I am saying is that any decent tire shop with an alignment machine would not make the customer find the information. They would have contacts and pick up the phone themselves and get the information.
Also, If you have a 4WD Explorer you cannot replace only two tires at a time unless the new tires are shaved to match the diameter of the old tires that are staying on the vehicle.

Unless the shop has an old machine with data let's say up to 2002.

True, but even the older machines have the ability to update the database on them. To me, keeping the database up to date on it would make sense if I was trying to run a tire shop.

True, but even the older machines have the ability to update the database on them. To me, keeping the database up to date on it would make sense if I was trying to run a tire shop.
That's the problem in Dubai, very few people have any common sense.

That's the problem in Dubai, very few people have any common sense.

Sorry to hear that Friday, explains why you are the one trying to find the alignment specs when it is a tire shop that is doing the work.

Here you go Friday it's from the 2008 factory service manual, hope it helps:

Front

Camber:
Left -0.5° ± 0.75°
Right -0.5° ± 0.75°
Total/Split 0° ± 0.75°

Caster (Explorer, Mountaineer):
Left 4.4° ± 0.75°
Right 4.6° ± 0.75°
Total/Split -0.2° ± 0.75°

Toe (positive value is toe-in, negative value is toe-out)
left -
right -
total/split 0.20° ± 0.20°

Rear

Camber
Left -0.5° ± 0.75°
Right-0.5° ± 0.75°
total/split 0° ± 0.75°

Toe (positive value is toe-in, negative value is toe-out)
left 0.05° ± 0.20°
right 0.05° ± 0.20°
total/split 0.10° ± 0.20°

Right, just had the wheels aligned, does this look okay to everyone

Explorer+Tracking+15052013.png

Like Ronin said looks good, a lot better than the first time I had the alignment checked on mine (in 2009)... my rear was way out of spec.

Should the SAI and included angle be the same for each side? or does someone have the specs for this? Thanks

Should the SAI and included angle be the same for each side? or does someone have the specs for this? Thanks

It's not something you can adjust, it's basically the angle formed if you drew a line vertically through the center pin of the upper and lower ball joints and compare it with a true vertical line that passes through the center of the tire contact patch up through the top of the tire:

You can see a diagram here: http://www.anewtoronto.com/wheel alignment.html

My opinion on the difference:

I found that my 2008 slightly leans (about 1/2") towards the driver's side...I believe this to be the result of the front differential and other 4wd components being on that side and weighing down the suspension more on that side. This would mean the SAI is a slightly smaller angle on the driver's side than on the passenger side. You can see if this is the case on your truck by making sure tire pressures are equal on the left and right front tires and measuring the height of the truck from the ground in the center of the wheel to the highest point of the fenderwell opening. If there is a difference there (i.e., the driver's side is slightly lower than the passenger side) then that would explain the SAI difference.

No way to really adjust for that on OEM style struts. I was able to compensate for it since I have fox coilovers that allow you to fine tune the ride height.

As long as the truck tracks straight and doesn't pull to one side at low speeds, and the steering wheel goes back to center after turning, and your tire wear is OK then I wouldn't worry about it.

Back