Explorer 4.6L Oil? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer 4.6L Oil?

dieselscout80

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer 4.6
If I can't find 5w20 oil should I use 0w20 or 5w30? I'm leaning towards using 0w20.

I want to use a synthetic oil and my first choice is Mobil One.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know that Mobil One makes 5w20, but if I can't find it locally should I use 0w20 or 5w30?

Sorry if I didn't make clear that was trying to figure out what to use if the 5w20 is not avalible. The reason is I did't see 5w20 in Autozone when I was there the other day.

I have that Motorcraft filter already. ;)

Why don't you just order from Amazon? If you absolutely need oil today you can get away with 5W30 I did that in my Ranger.

Check Walmart, they sell Mobil One 5w20, usually around $26 per 5qt jug.

+1 for Walmart

always got mine at Walmart. If you can't find it there, wait ten minutes for another shipment to arrive! lol

5W-30 if you do not run 5W-20. There is little difference, and the 4.6L was originally spec'd for 5W-30 before they updated to 5W-20.

Thanks I found 5w20 today in a different Autozone and in Walmart too.

Glad to hear

I changed it tonight.

The owners manual says 6 qts with a filter change.

I put six quarts in ran it and checked it after about 20 minutes and it was about a 1/2 quart low.

How much oil does the 4.6L V8 take 6 or 6.5 quarts?

If it is any where in between the low mark and full mark, the Work Shop Manual SPECIFICALLY STATES:

"DO NOT ADD MORE OIL."

If it is any where in between the low mark and full mark, the Work Shop Manual SPECIFICALLY STATES:

"DO NOT ADD MORE OIL."

Thanks Joe.

That also helped me figure out the oil monitoring reset.

Back