Explorer 99 - Trailer Light Issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer 99 - Trailer Light Issue

Hello All,

I am trying to troubleshoot an issue I have with my trailer and explorer. My truck is a 99 4DR. I have a 4 pin connected to an utility trailer. Turn Signals and brakes work fine on trailer, but when turning on headlights in the truck, it doesn't work on trailer and blows fuse #30 (15A Park lamps, trailer Tow relay). I verified wiring over and over. If trailer is disconnected, the fuse doesn't burn.
If anyone had any idea on other troubleshooting steps or anything I may have overlooked, pls let me know. It would be also very appreciated.

Thank you all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know that I am going to sound very dumb on this, but could the fact that when testing the electrical, I had the connector connected, but did not have the trailer "connected" to the truck, as far as physically (Using the hitch) have anything to do with it?

No it wouldn't matter. Trailer grounds through the white wire in that plug. Not being grounded wouldn't blow a fuse anyway.

Resolved! Thank you for your help. Here is what was the issue. After checking once more, I decided to simply rewire things in the truck. Ford dumb a***s and dishonest people told me last week that all was wired correctly... well it wasn't. I reconnected the 4 wires from the truck and miraculously, there was light!
Here is how I connected: Yellow to Yellow, Green to Green, Brown to Brown, Brown with white stripe from truck to Ground from trailer.

Thank you again for your help!

Back