• Register Today It's free!

Explorer and Wheel Spacers

Gavi Gene

Reaction score
City, State
HongKong, China
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford explorer
Hi, recently I was installing wheel spacers on my explorer.

The spacers push the wheels out slightly, giving it a more flush look with the fenders. But my friends had different opinions on it.

Waht do you think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Gavi. :wave:
Do you have a picture of your Explorer that we can check out?

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Gavi. :wave:
Do you have a picture of your Explorer that we can check out?

Peter
Of course, but I don't know how to upload my picture, it need a url. Could you tell me how to upload a photo?
I will be very grateful.😊

Gavi

What thickness did you go with? Pix or it didn't happen! LOL. Before I had my aftermarket wheels, I was using 1 inch spacers on the stock 20s. You're basically changing the offset when you add spacers. For example, the stock wheels have an offset of 44mm, but since I added 25mm spacers, the new offset became, essentially, 19mm. So when aftermarket wheels are purchased and people want a more "flush" appearance, I tell folks to just ensure you include that "spacer" offset so that no spacer is necessary. I now have 20x11 with an offset of 15mm. They stick out just a small amount, but the stance is great (in my opinion, of course) and I have no rubbing, even with lowering springs...

What thickness did you go with? Pix or it didn't happen! LOL. Before I had my aftermarket wheels, I was using 1 inch spacers on the stock 20s. You're basically changing the offset when you add spacers. For example, the stock wheels have an offset of 44mm, but since I added 25mm spacers, the new offset became, essentially, 19mm. So when aftermarket wheels are purchased and people want a more "flush" appearance, I tell folks to just ensure you include that "spacer" offset so that no spacer is necessary. I now have 20x11 with an offset of 15mm. They stick out just a small amount, but the stance is great (in my opinion, of course) and I have no rubbing, even with lowering springs...
I run 25mm spacers, and the wheel is just flush with the fenders. Do you have vibration after installing spacers?

I run 25mm spacers, and the wheel is just flush with the fenders. Do you have vibration after installing spacers?
nope...ensure you either have some hub-centering rings installed or that you had them integrated into the spacer itself if needed. OEM hub is 63.1mm. Ideally, the spacer will have this hub ring machined as part of the body of it, both on the hub side and wheel side. If you are using stock wheels, then it will fit perfectly centered. If not using stock wheels, you'll need to make sure you're using hub centering rings meant to adapt from whatever the hub size of your new wheel is to the stock 63.1mm (63mm ones work fine).

I know some people don't use them, but I strongly advise against that if possible, especially since you are spacing it so far out (not an issue, just need to make sure everything is centered and balanced better).

nope...ensure you either have some hub-centering rings installed or that you had them integrated into the spacer itself if needed. OEM hub is 63.1mm. Ideally, the spacer will have this hub ring machined as part of the body of it, both on the hub side and wheel side. If you are using stock wheels, then it will fit perfectly centered. If not using stock wheels, you'll need to make sure you're using hub centering rings meant to adapt from whatever the hub size of your new wheel is to the stock 63.1mm (63mm ones work fine).

I know some people don't use them, but I strongly advise against that if possible, especially since you are spacing it so far out (not an issue, just need to make sure everything is centered and balanced better).
Copy that.
But I run the spacers have hub centric that I don't need to buy the hub centric rings. And now the wheels doesn't move around~

By the way, my friend told me that aluminum alloy 7075-T6 is better than 6061-T6. Do I need to change the 7075-T6 ones?

I wouldn’t call 7075 better. It’s typically more expensive because it’s harder to work with. 7075 does have a higher tensile and sheer strength, but the 6061 version is probably just fine.

Copy that.
But I run the spacers have hub centric that I don't need to buy the hub centric rings. And now the wheels doesn't move around~

By the way, my friend told me that aluminum alloy 7075-T6 is better than 6061-T6. Do I need to change the 7075-T6 ones?
On the hub centering thing, that's good, it'll give you piece of mind and remove that variable. If you use those spacers with aftermarket wheels that have a different hub, then you'll have to go with those rings.

As for the material, @Mbrooks420 is right, you'll be fine. I think you're overthinking it.

Btw, here's some links on my rim/tire adventures. I briefly talk about the spacer thing.

Reviving this thread.
I just put 1.5” adapters, all 4 wheels, looks awesome, corners feel very flat, on my 2019 sport but the tire rubs the wheel well when bottoming out over bumps. Anybody else have issues? Anybody know how far the tire wants to travel up behind the fender when stock. Not really looking to add lift to make this work.

Reviving this thread.
I just put 1.5” adapters, all 4 wheels, looks awesome, corners feel very flat, on my 2019 sport but the tire rubs the wheel well when bottoming out over bumps. Anybody else have issues? Anybody know how far the tire wants to travel up behind the fender when stock. Not really looking to add lift to make this work.
Fwiw 20” stock Sport wheel. Cooper disco at3 4s 265 50r 20

Reviving this thread.
Are you on stock wheel/tire size?

1.5" is quite a bit. With the 25mm (1") ones I ran with stock wheels and lowering springs, I BARELY cleared. No rubbing, but it wasn't by much. the extra 1/2" you added to that, I'm afraid, puts it past and into the rubbing zone, unless you lift it.

EDIT: Just read your wheel/tire size comment. Going to the 265 vs the 255 that comes stock increased your diameter by about 1/2". That isn't helping you.

You can go with lower profile tires, that would help.

Are you on stock wheel/tire size?

1.5" is quite a bit. With the 25mm (1") ones I ran with stock wheels and lowering springs, I BARELY cleared. No rubbing, but it wasn't by much. the extra 1/2" you added to that, I'm afraid, puts it past and into the rubbing zone, unless you lift it.

EDIT: Just read your wheel/tire size comment. Going to the 265 vs the 255 that comes stock increased your diameter by about 1/2". That isn't helping you.

You can go with lower profile tires, that would help.
Hey. Thanks for the quick reply! Hmm. I’m really happy with the tires, esp in snow. Maybe I’ll try some 1” adapters in the back instead and see if they clear over big bumps. Otherwise I think they’re all coming off.
Thanks again.

Hey. Thanks for the quick reply! Hmm. I’m really happy with the tires, esp in snow. Maybe I’ll try some 1” adapters in the back instead and see if they clear over big bumps. Otherwise I think they’re all coming off.
Thanks again.
Since the car is AWD, you'll want to keep the tracking the same front-to-rear. Go with 1" all the way around and you'll likely be ok and still look good. Here's mine back when I still had stock wheels. Lowered on 25mm spacers.

20170606_154845.jpg

Since the car is AWD, you'll want to keep the tracking the same front-to-rear. Go with 1" all the way around and you'll likely be ok and still look good. Here's mine back when I still had stock wheels. Lowered on 25mm spacers.

View attachment 430688
Looks great man. So even on lowered springs you had no rub over bumps? Good point on the awd tracking and 1” all around.

Looks great man. So even on lowered springs you had no rub over bumps? Good point on the awd tracking and 1” all around.
None

Back