• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Clutch Slipping

k0pir

Reaction score
City, State
Pierre,SD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer
I have a 1991 Explorer and the clutch was replaced about 5 years ago by a friend. It worked perfectly until last year. Last winter the clutch fluid leaked out a few times and I had to add some. I've read that in cold weather that sometimes the slave will leak and it needs replaced. I don't think it is the master leaking, it doesn't appear to be. I've had to add fluid once this year when it got cold.

The problem I'm seeing now is that when I leave my driveway and go up hill, sometimes in 3rd gear the clutch will slip. I know I don't have my foot on the clutch pedal when this happens and if I slow down, downshift and then accelerate again slowly and shift into 3rd it goes fine. This has happened to me a few times.

Another problem related to the last is when I'm on the road and in 4th gear I can accelerate hard and the clutch slips. Again, I know my foot isn't on the clutch pedal, but the engine speeds up, yet I don't go any faster. If I let my foot off the gas and then accelerate slowly it's fine.

As I mentioned I had the clutch replaced about 5 years ago and I don't drive it that much (3,000 miles a year max) so I don't think it's the clutch. Could this be a low fluid level in the transmission? It is leaking some from underneath.

Thanks and any help is greatly appreciated.

Rich

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like clutch fluid has gotten soaked in the clutch disc. Only thing to do at this point is to drop the trans, pull the clutch assembly. To really do the job right, the flywheel needs to be re-surfaced, the slavecylinder needs replaced, and a new clutch/pressure plate kit in stalled. I quit doing clutches when I traded my BII for a 1st Gen. Explorer.

Agree, That's a classic clutch problem. Maybe it was not installed right or a cheap unit was put it, don't know, but something is not right with that clutch PP, flywheel or slave. Your going to have to take it apart to see & at that point may as well replace it all.

Okay, that's not good, but I appreciate it. I'm going to see if it'll last till the summer and I can do something with it. Thanks for your help.

Rich

Okay, that's not good, but I appreciate it. I'm going to see if it'll last till the summer and I can do something with it. Thanks for your help.

Rich

Mine is doing this. Great. How long did it last?

My clutch went at 200k (almost 201k). I bought a "HD" clutch off fleabay for $75 shipped, and used forum member by fordsvtparts he works for a ford dealer in Minnesota. He got me a factory motorcraft slave cylinder for $140 shipped (the same one that was $190-$210 locally). I installed it myself using our on post repair shop (lift air tools etc) it cost me $100 to utilize the equipment. 19k mi later it's still going strong. I DID NOT resurface my flywheel because it looked great.

My clutch has been beat on for the use of city driving (pizza delivery). I would definitely buy this clutch again. The pedal pressure is certainly stiffer with this HD clutch. It is one of those don't sit in traffic with the clutch depressed, your leg will get tired.

I bought the motorcraft slave after reading the horror stories of crappy Chinese slave cylinders leaking after a period of time.

Back