• Register Today It's free!

NEW CLUTCH SLIPPING?!?

Peter

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
I have had a new clutch in my 93 for not even a year. I have noticed that the clutch isnt grabbing very hard, i have some chatter and a lot of slipping in second gear on on the highway when i push on the gas pedal a good bit. I have noticed the clutch disengages after just a small amount of pressure. It seems like its needs adjusting to make it tighter but i thought that these clutches were not supposed to be adjusted. Perhaps the linkage is worn out or is that where I can adjust it. Its a centerforce II clutch, original flywheel that they said was fine, didnt need resurfacing or anything. New Master, Slave, Clutchplate and Pressure plate......so can this be tightened. The clutch itself is as stiff as ever but i think I need the linkage to be tightened or somthing,its acting liike I need a new clutch!...any ideas?!?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

also, if I give it a good amount of gas and then "drop" the clutch it definetly doesnt drop, it just kinda eases in eventually or not at all...definetly have smelled burnt clutch a few times

That doesn`t sound right, especially since I am pondering the centre-force one for when mine dies on me.

Unless you are very hard on clutches I don`t know what`s wrong...

if you drop you clutch alot, or feather it alot that can happen in about a years time. You can glaze your clutch like you can your brakes.

so is a clutch adjustable or not or can it be something other than the clutch??!?!?!!?!?!?!?
I AM NEVER BUYING CENTERFORCE AGAIN IF THIS IS THE F-ING CLUTCH

Now don`t get mad, there are standard gearbox kind of guys, and there are automatic kind of guys. You just happen to be an automatic kind of guy. It`s not your fault, you should really swap in an auto, because clutches just aren`t your thing bud!

Lol, just pullin your leg guy, ha ha, lol, I crack myself up, man that was funny! Hee hee, just a joke man.

To answer your question, it is a hydraulic clutch, and when engaged (foot off pedal) that should be it, your pressure plate is left to do the job of squeezing it all together. I don`t see how any adjustment could let your slave cylinder release any further.
Unless everything is coming loose in there, I hate to say it but it sounds like your clutch is worn out.

Don`t freak out, someone might have another angle to pursue, but that`s all I can think of right now..

It happens dude, some clutches last a long time and some just go out quik. I have had it happen once on a motorcycle I used to have.

It is possible that you have some air in the system. The only "adjustment" is to bleed the hydrualic system. Have you checked to see if you are low on fluid or have a leak?

There certainly isn't any air in the system. That wiuld cause a disengage problem. Probably the worst thing you could have done was slip the clutch so you could reassure yourself that it was slipping and burning. You are certainly having a glaze problem. Your flywheel should have been resurfaced, I don't care what any one says. You are still dealing with an uneven contact surface, and glazing from the previous clutch. It's not the clutch it was the install. You can go about it s couple of different ways. Take it back to the shop and ***** up a storm 'cause they told you it didn't have to be replaced. Or replace the clutch disc, and resurface the fly wheel. I went to the junkyard and purchased another flywheel had it resurfaced so I didn't have any down time during the install.

yehyeh...i am DEFINETLY not an automatic guy......but I figured that a hydrolic clutch wasnt adjustable...well its a shame but you put your faith in someone who says someone does good work cause you dont ahve the time ot do it yourself and you lose a 250$ clutch in less than a year.....in fact, im gonna call up the place that did the work right now and talk to the guy, cuase I figure he owes me at least to check it out!..ill post up anything that comes out of this

Also the linkage and bearings and prelouad spring havent been replaced...to tell you the truth, if its not the clutch then mabey its the preload spring? although wouldnt that come with a new slave cylinder...and would that be responsible for lack of clutch "bite"...

If anyone cares we have pretty much decided that its the clutch thats the problem...so im takin that POS out and puttin in a ford heavy duty clutch, oh well...ANYONE HAVE AN IDEA AS TO HOW I GET MY MONEY BACK...and yes I have called and *****ed at both NAPA and Centerforce..
moral:dont buy Centerforce clutches

Will you explain specifically what part of the clutch failed and how it was the fault of manufacturer?

I'm not arguing that your clutch isn't slipping I'm just curious as to what part of it failed. Are you absolutely sure that the failure wasn't caused by external factors such as a leaking rear seal causing oil to get on the clutch disc? Maybe a leaking secondary cylinder? (Happened to a member recently, caused a slow death of the stock clutch)

I’m not a mechanic, nor do I drive sticks or have any connections to CenterForce but I have installed a few in friends’ vehicles who have had no problems with them. Since there don’t seem to be very many other people having problems with Center Force products I think a little more research is in order before you begin the process of slandering the company over an issue that may have very well been caused by other problems.

-T

we are looking into whether there may be oil on the clutch ebcasue I do have a possibly leaking seal. However, what really bothers me is that if in fact the c lutch is bad, centerforce wont stand behind their productand that is what is treally frustrating. anyways it comes out thursday and i will tell yall what it was....
anyways i havent been happy with this clutch anywas, im gonna put in teh heavy duty ford one

Originally posted by TDG
Will you explain specifically what part of the clutch failed and how it was the fault of manufacturer?

I'm not arguing that your clutch isn't slipping I'm just curious as to what part of it failed. Are you absolutely sure that the failure wasn't caused by external factors such as a leaking rear seal causing oil to get on the clutch disc? Maybe a leaking secondary cylinder? (Happened to a member recently, caused a slow death of the stock clutch)

I’m not a mechanic, nor do I drive sticks or have any connections to CenterForce but I have installed a few in friends’ vehicles who have had no problems with them. Since there don’t seem to be very many other people having problems with Center Force products I think a little more research is in order before you begin the process of slandering the company over an issue that may have very well been caused by other problems.

-T

LOL!!:chug:

alright, if anybody gives a ****...
the clutch came out today...the friction plate was scarred and it was almost wore to the rivets
the pressure plate was heat warped and scarred
the friction plate had to come out and be resurfaced
i got a remanufactured (i think) ford heavy duty clutch in there now, its a lot softer...I just hope that it will grip as well as what a Centerfore SUPPOSEDLY grips as...
SO IM SLANDERING AWAY AT A PIECE OF **** CLUTCH
a piece of **** clutch that is so ****ty that it wore out in 5000 miles...and the worst part is, Centerforce doesnt want to stand behind their product. There was no oil on the clutch from a leaking rear seal. The leak is from the bottom of the manifold where the gasket is leaking a little bit...so I dont know what to think about this clutch...how does a clutch like that wear out in that many miles if it didnt have a problem to begin with...would riding even be able to wear it like this?...i have no idea...
...so now does anyone have any suggestions on how to get my money back...

also, i have heard that without a Centerforce flywheel that might have caused a problem...NAPA didnt order a kit when i ordered the clutch, they just ordered the two pieces...I didnt think it really mattered...this whole situation is just bullshit and too much money

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Allright, I'll be blunt about this because I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering...
Perhaps you don't know how to drive a standard as well as you think you do???

Not trying to be mean here, but I haven't heard anything bad about centerforce before you.....

-----Nate

Back