Explorer delays | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer delays

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i would really like to see that list that they are going thru - so i can check them all on my car i received last week.

Please keep us posted on any issues that crop up....we really want to understand what they are really fixing and what continues to be an issue...

I'm wondering if I made a mistake moving from my 2015, problem-free Flex to the 2020 Explorer. I was really excited when I placed my order. Now I'm nervous. Mine is scheduled to be built 10 days from now. I can only hope that the bugs have been worked out of the assembly process. Time will tell...............:dunno:

Too many adjectives in that story, especially “mysterious”. Then there’s, this sentence;l “Employees who say they’re concerned about public safety have provided the Free Press photos of the troubled vehicles.”

Could this be a UAW ploy at contract time?

Congratulations on your new 2020 Explorer. Please keep us updated if you find any quality issues with the vehicle.
Things like: AC blowing hot air, transmission leaking, issues with vehicle unable to tell if it is in park & trim/paint issues. Thanks
Welcome to the Forum Andy.:wave:
I think the initial problems have been cleared up as the latest orders seem to be back to a more reasonable timetable.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Andy.:wave:
I think the initial problems have been cleared up as the latest orders seem to be back to a more reasonable timetable.

Peter
Thanks Peter, my ST order (3/28/19) was built on 7/16/19 and it is still stuck in "Sent Offsite" status. The Detroit Free Press article has me worried with all the problems they mentioned. My dealer thinks I may not get it until the end of the year. Just in time for Ford to start retooling for the 2021 model :).

Thanks Peter, my ST order (3/28/19) was built on 7/16/19 and it is still stuck in "Sent Offsite" status. The Detroit Free Press article has me worried with all the problems they mentioned. My dealer thinks I may not get it until the end of the year. Just in time for Ford to start retooling for the 2021 model :).

There will be no retooling for 2021.

On my ST order I did not order the $1695 Moonroof. I never used the sun roofs in cars I owned and the new moonroof look like it would be prone to mechanical problems not to mention the outrageous price. Do you think I made a mistake not ordering the moonroof?

On my ST order I did not order the $1695 Moonroof. I never used the sun roofs in cars I owned and the new moonroof look like it would be prone to mechanical problems not to mention the outrageous price. Do you think I made a mistake not ordering the moonroof?

Yes.. I love the moonroof just for all the extra light that is let in. We dont typically use it BUT we keep the shade open so the 1st and 2nd row have all the light from above.

Very little issues with these moonroofs. Typically if you have an issue, it is the moonroof drains that clog which cause water to build and seep inside. You could blow light air through the tubes a few times a year as preventative but in the 21 years I've had them, I have never had a single problem in any vehicle.

I'm with blwnsmoke. The shade is always open so the interior is much brighter. I have noticed that the moonroof on the 2020 opens differently. I think that is because it is larger than those in the 5th gen. It is a personal thing. Some love it and some hate it.

Peter

I didn’t order a moonroof on my first order which is still on a rail car. Picked one up another ST this week and pleased it has the moonroof!

I just hope the moonroof doesn't make the same cracking noise in the winter that my F-150 made. You'd swear the glass was going to crack.

I didn’t order a moonroof on my first order which is still on a rail car. Picked one up another ST this week and pleased it has the moonroof!
Any quality issues with it so far? Thanks

Never get any glass on the roof. It isn't covered by the manufacturer's warranty for defects. I'm also disappointed to see the same leaky plastic oil pan on the 3.0 engine.

Never get any glass on the roof. It isn't covered by the manufacturer's warranty for defects. I'm also disappointed to see the same leaky plastic oil pan on the 3.0 engine.

Moonroof is absolutely covered by the warranty as well as the Premium ESP. What would not be covered is water leaks beyond the 3yr/36k and that would be the drain tubes which I mentioned previously about preventative maintenance on them if one was interested in doing it.

Moonroof is absolutely covered by the warranty as well as the Premium ESP. What would not be covered is water leaks beyond the 3yr/36k and that would be the drain tubes which I mentioned previously about preventative maintenance on them if one was interested in doing it.

Go ahead and try to get the glass replaced under warranty if it flies off or shatters due to a defect. The dealer will first blame you saying it is a rock chip or some other event. The most you will ever get from Ford after threatening legal action or using social media, is 50% off the repair costs. I had to go through this on my 2017 Fusion Sport where the glass separated cleanly from the factory adhesive at high speeds (it somehow lifted up). Dealer would not budge at all. They insisted on replacing the entire motor and track at my cost. I ended up buying a take-off glass from a totaled 2013 MKZ to replace it. I've taken other cars with sunroofs well over 100 mph without any issues, so I'm not saying all sunroofs are bad. My Cobalt SS Turbo will do 110+ mph without any issues with the factory sunroof.

Doing research on this shows this isn't just Ford but other OEMs as well with respect to covering the glass under warranty. I'll never get any type of glass on a roof ever again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back