Raminator157

Mopar Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Essex Jct Vermont
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 Ram 1500
I have a Stealth Box with a 10W1 currently in it. I recently blew my sub. I wanted to replace it with 10W3v2 which handles 300 watts. Jl told me that it would not fit. But about a year or so ago, I e-mailed Jl asking if I ever wanted to upgrade my stealth box would it be possible? One guy e-mailed me back saying if I removed the Magnet Cover from the 10w3 it would fit. I don't remember if back then the 10W3 he was talking about was the 10W3v2. Jl does not list the depth of the stealth box. I e-mailed them back and asked what it was. My question is, Has anyone put a more powerful 10 inch sub in thier stealth box? I do not care about brand.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 10W6 (not v2) in mine and had to fabricate a 1/2" spacer to get it to fit. The 10W1 is 4.4" deep and my 10W6 is 4.9". If I remember correctly the 10W3 is much deeper.

Jefe said:
I have a 10W6 (not v2) in mine and had to fabricate a 1/2" spacer to get it to fit. The 10W1 is 4.4" deep and my 10W6 is 4.9". If I remember correctly the 10W3 is much deeper.

hmm, I dont know what to do. I don't feel like makeing a box or buying a Q logic or anything. Got any pics of you moding it? Mine is the Stealth Box that came loaded with the 10W1. Its not the plastic box that JL sells.

I got a reply from the Jl Rep. Here is his response

Hey Matt,
Sorry, the rep you talked to was wrong. Mounting depth on the early Explorer enclosure is 5 inches. The 10W3V2 requires 5.8125 inches. Removing the magnet cover will reduce the diameter of the motor assembly, but it doesn't effect the mounting depth because of the "bump-out" in the back plate. If your dead serious about getting a 10W3V2 into this enclosure, you could build a 1 inch thick extension ring out of MDF or Plexiglass, which you could then sandwich between the woofer flange and the enclosure. This would move the woofer out 1 inch, which would then allow it to fit in the enclosure. But then your grill wouldn't fit without modification...and I'm not sure if the side panel would also require some minor surgery. But this is the only way I know of to fit the 10W3V2 in this enclosure.
Good luck!
Don Vertrees

372207_38_full.jpg

Fordexplorer157 said:
hmm, I dont know what to do. I don't feel like makeing a box or buying a Q logic or anything. Got any pics of you moding it? Mine is the Stealth Box that came loaded with the 10W1. Its not the plastic box that JL sells.
My stealthbox is the fiberglass JL box that came with the 10W1. I bought a sheet of 1/2" plexiglass and cut it down using the mounting dimensions, drilled 8 holes in it, put silicone sealer on both sides and screwed it in.

EDIT: heh, basically the same thing the JL Rep told you to do :)

How did you get the grille back on?

Jefe said:
My stealthbox is the fiberglass JL box that came with the 10W1. I bought a sheet of 1/2" plexiglass and cut it down using the mounting dimensions, drilled 8 holes in it, put silicone sealer on both sides and screwed it in.

EDIT: heh, basically the same thing the JL Rep told you to do :)

I recently blew the sub in my stealthbox and bought a 10w3v2 and it wont fit without modding the box. The mounting depth on the 10w3v2 is 5.75 inches. Unfortunately I had to buy a regular box to put the 10w3v2 in it til i get around to modding the stealthbox.

Fordexplorer157 said:
How did you get the grille back on?
I did all this before installing it in the truck. The grill still fit fine with the mods. Though if you used a 1" spacer it wouldn't.

Back