Explorer shakes at 60mph | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer shakes at 60mph

mine shook also, but it was the driveline was outta balance & it shattered the tail shaft so now im lookin for a 91 x tail shaft for a 5 speed manual mitsu tranny, get it fixed guys & gals it will cost u at least 650 if its a mitsu 5 sp manual to repalce the tranny

personally i think its the design of the sway bars... its 3 peices, and the tubing looks kinda small, i dunno could be bigger.

but bigger sway bars = less flex

Shaking 93 XLT

I have the same problem as the rest of you.
99 km no problem. Hit 101 kms and the steering wheel is dancing in my hand.
110, no problem again.

I have been told Ford is well aware of the "55mph shake"

Since there seems to be no definative solution to this problem is there any chance that many of the worn parts that everyone is replacing are caused "by" the shaking and not the "cause of" the shaking.

Lets assume that many Ford Explorers have some built in shake that may not be noticble. But after enough kms/miles this shake starts to wear out different parts prematurely over others. One one X it may be the u joints, on another the shocks. Eventually the specified part wears to the point that it now starts to add to the shake and the overall effect becomes much more obvious.

I know that sounds really obvious, "worn out parts causing a shake" , but the point is that maybe all these parts wearing out are only the symptoms of an underlying problem. That's why Johns shocks fixed the shake and Kens rotors fixed it for him.

I would be interested to hear if anyone who has replaced a part and has noticed a positive effect on the shaking, then finds the same part wears out again, earlier then it should.

I know that does not give us an answer, but may give a reason to why so many people have different fixes for the same unique problem.
What do you think?

Have a great Easter Holiday
Scott :ca:

The 1994 Navajo LX Barn Find Restoration Project

You can read and watch much of what I did above.

The short version: 1994 Navajo LX 4x4 5spd manual barn find, one owner, 89k miles. Had horrible death wobble when I bought it a couple months ago. Drove it home doing 45, and parked it in the garage. I replaced 4 shocks, rear spring shackles, both sway bar bushings (kits), radius arm bushings, pivot bushing (other one would not come out, but looks decent), ball joints, all new steering joints, water pump, t-stat, fan, fan clutch, hoses, rotors, calipers, pads, rubber brake hoses, ABS sensors, and the list goes on. I did not replace the front coil springs...that is about the only stock part that could easily be replaced. Took to the local Chevy dealer last week after finishing my project work on it. They do good work, and have a roadforce balance machine. Had new Goodyear tires mounted (stock size), and an alignment. It drives beautiful up to about 63ish MPH, then from there until about 68 MPG, shakes enough for me to notice it. The only mistake I made that I know of is that I didn't have the preload on the wheel bearings right...I don't do this stuff every day for a living...so the dealer fixed them for me.

Any ideas? The shake feels like the steering arms are jumping back and forth. I'd say it is about 15% of what true death wobble feels like.

Back