Explorer shuts off when slowing down | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer shuts off when slowing down

officer568

Reaction score
Hi all I have having some issues with my 2004 Explorer XLS. While slowing down to stop or make a turn my explorer has shut off now 3 times. It is like someone just turns the key and it shuts off, no stuttering or stalling just turns off and the dash lights come up. When I attempt to restart the explorer it starts right up like nothing was wrong. I haven't been able to figure out what would cause something like this and was hoping someone would have an idea. It is an intermittent problem and has produced no check engine light.

Thanks for your help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi and welcome here. Sorry I don't know the answer to your question but I remember seeing a few posts about the same thing happening when folks were using their cruise control. I can't remember if anyone ever came up with the answer but this might give you a starting point to search around. Could be related to that I guess. Good luck.

Interesting - my '03 XLT 4.6L will sometimes do this a few minutes after start but not fully warmed up. It shows up not with cruise control, but when I let off the gas (for a stoplite, a curve, etc) - the teltale is that the idle speed drops lower than normal shortly before it cuts out.
I thought the computer controlled the idle - but apparently not.

Well on an '03 you might want to take the IAC off and clean it up. The '04s and up do not have an IAC as they went to throttle by wire where the computer does in fact control everything - including the throttle. Try a search for IAC in here to get the scoop.

How many miles on your plugs? Could be time for a tune-up.

Thanks Guys; my 05 explorer is doing the same thing. I am not using cruise control. Still need suggestions. Bamatide3

Mine did it a few times at low speed. I replaced the fuel filter and it hasn't done it since.

Back