Explorer Sport Oil Change questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Sport Oil Change questions

fjc2

Reaction score
City, State
MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
Pretty new here - I have a 2014 Explorer Sport on order, due to be built in mid-January.

I've searched but can't find any pictures of the underside of the vehicle, specifically where the oil filter is located. I've heard its fairly easy to get to if I want to change the oil myself, but I've also heard that the Sport's EcoBoost makes it a bit harder. Is there a panel that must be removed, or anything like that?

Can anyone give me any insight on how easy/hard it is to access that filter? Better yet, anyone have any pictures of its location?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have to take off a cooler intake... It's held on with three half-turn wingnuts... Need to prop it while taking off/putting on... Just get a box to hold it up..

Oil filter is in very front of engine.. Super easy to get to... Oil drain in back.. Also not hard.

Hardest thing is wedging my portly body under the air dam!

Not a hard oil change at all...

Have to take off a cooler intake... It's held on with three half-turn wingnuts... Need to prop it while taking off/putting on... Just get a box to hold it up..

Oil filter is in very front of engine.. Super easy to get to... Oil drain in back.. Also not hard.

Hardest thing is wedging my portly body under the air dam!

Not a hard oil change at all...

Excellent, thanks!

Pretty new here - I have a 2014 Explorer Sport on order, due to be built in mid-January.

I've searched but can't find any pictures of the underside of the vehicle, specifically where the oil filter is located. I've heard its fairly easy to get to if I want to change the oil myself, but I've also heard that the Sport's EcoBoost makes it a bit harder. Is there a panel that must be removed, or anything like that?

Can anyone give me any insight on how easy/hard it is to access that filter? Better yet, anyone have any pictures of its location?

Oil changes are so cheap at the dealership now why take the time and hassle to do it yourself?

"The Works" is so worth the money and time savings, no disposing oil, clean up.

Oil changes are so cheap at the dealership now why take the time and hassle to do it yourself?

I'm with you. Get a complete check over, alignment check plus free coffee and car wash and I don't have to get my hands dirty, unless they have donuts. :):thumbsup:

Peter

I usually hit the dealer up in the winter months, but in the nice weather I enjoy changing it myself if it's not too much hassle. Just that satisfaction thing. :D

I've seen to many dealer "accidents"... Met a mechanic one time who stated, "Those who can, go to work for a shop... Those who can't, go to work for a dealership..."

Anyway, I like working on my cars myself. EVERYONE should know how their car works. And I put the money in better parts and other stuff... :cool:

Talked to a dealership owner once... Sales pays for the overhead. They make their money in the "back room", service and repairs and body shop... Should make you think where that money is coming from if parts are a fairly "fixed" cost (cheaper than we can buy them, but still fairly fixed..$).

Anyway, to each their own.. That's why we have choices!

I dont disagree, some dealers service techs are not the sharpest tools in the shed.

Up here we cant buy oil as cheap as you can down south, so by the time you buy the oil, filter and dispose of the oil your almost at the cost of the dealership "The Works"

As Peter explained the extra stuff on top of just changing the oil is worth it too me.

Then if there ever is any warranty issues theres no discussion about what was done.

I cant believe Peter gets donuts too!....I might have to drive east just for that!

In AZ I pay $39 for "The Works"

In Vancouver I pay $59 for "The Works"

Too cheap IMHO

Back