Explorer Trailer Wires | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Trailer Wires

I have a 2000 Explorer xlt i was looking at adding a 7 plug to it for the new trailer i just got. The explorer has a 4 plug on it now and i get all lights except the running lights, so before i add the 7 i wanted to fix that problem. I tested the wires at the plug behind the tail light and the brown/w white strip reads nothing on continuity. does anyone know were this wire goes to and how to fix it so everything will work again?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2nd on the fuses. My '06 has a fuse for the trailer marker lights in the fuse box under the dash.

i will check that out hopfuly that is the problem. would'nt a fuse make all the lights not work? I know if i plug a trailer into it the running lights are the only ones that dont work.

That is exactly how the '06 is fusued. I had turn right and left and brakes but no running lights. Changed a fuse and all was good. Damn rental equiptment for blowing my fuse.

Got to love the rental stuff lol. do you know what fuse it was by chance. i looked in the owners manual and all i found for the trailer was the left turn/ stop trailer tow and right turn/stop trailer tow connecter

ok so i had a few extra minutes to go out and check the fuses. i checked both turn and brake and the parking light one all are still good. any other thoughts?

Did you check fuse # 30? If so I would start to find the relay mentioned in the description of fuse # 30. For some reason I have a feeling the relay may be behind the cargo area trim panel on the left side.

On newer vehicles, each trailer function is fused separately of the vehicle, so if the trailer pops a fuse, your tow vehicle continues to function. My 05 F150 has separate fuses for left and right stop/turn and running. I thought I had a trailer light out and replaced the bulb, that didn't work, so I traced wires checked connections, it was a simple fuse the whole time. I didn't know the trailer was fused separately.

Are you simply looking at the fuse(s), or are you swapping them. Sometimes a fuse can look good, but not BE good. Easiest way to be sure is to swap it with another circuit using the same size fuse. If, for example, you swap with the horn's fuse, and the horn no longer works (but your lights do work), you found the problem.

Once you correct your lighting issue, does your new trailer have electric brakes and/or battery? If so, you'll also need ot find the additional bare wires under the bumper for trailer brake controller and 12V charge lines. These would be added to that 7-pin Bargman for a complete solution. You'd also need a brakes controller up under the dash.

Back