Explorer V-8 - What is the 1st year it was put in? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer V-8 - What is the 1st year it was put in?

jbiss

Reaction score
City, State
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
looking to buy
What was the first year that the explorer got a V-8 put in it? It was the 5.0 at first, correct? When did they go to the 4.6 or 4.7? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2002 is the first with the 4.6L

1996 for the 5.0L. Initially 2WD only, later in the model year AWD became available.

Thanks, you guys are fast.

What are the differences between the 5.0L and the 4.6L? Pro and Con? Thanks Men.

Originally posted by DuaneD
What are the differences between the 5.0L and the 4.6L? Pro and Con? Thanks Men.

5.0L-Pushrod design. Longevity engine. Lots of torque down low (nice rumble too). Not too much stock HP but can be built up.

4.6L-Overhead cam shaft design. Not a longevity engine. Lots of high RPM horsepower. Pretty powerful from the factory. Not as many aftermarket goodies as 5.0L

Edit: It is similar to the comparing the 4.0L OHV to the 4.0 SOHC.

THe 5.0 is the old Windsor engine that's been around since 1962 in various displacements. It's your typical pushrod engine with an in-block cam. The 4.6 is a relatively new engine that was the first of Ford's Modular V8 family. It's an overhead cam design, meaning no lifters or pushrods. The 5.0 has a huge aftermarket following, since it's been the engine of choice in Mustangs and other performance Fords since way back, and the 4.6 is getting there now that the SN-95 Mustangs are gaining legitimacy in racing.

If I had my druthers, I'd go for the 5.0 over a 4.6. We had a 99 GT with the 4.6, and although it's a great engine, aftermarket parts were about twice the price as for comparable 5.0 Mustang parts. Plus I don't like the new Explorers they put the 4.6 in. On the other hand, if you can get past the new styling, the 4.6 probably gets better mileage, and has a higher hp rating from the factory. Hope this helps.

Both engines are excellent, like the others said the 5.0 has been around for a long time and is very reliable. My mom bought her Mountaineer new in 97' and she's put 78,000 hard miles on it (plenty of speeding tickets) and the engine still runs perfect with nothing replaced. The 5.0 is cheaper to mod and has awesome low end torque (I love it when some ricer pulls up with their fartcan exhaust and I just floor it and let the torque do its thing, at the next light they got this stunned look on their face like I just got dusted by an suv). The only thing that I don't like about it is it gets winded in the high rpms like any ohv engine. We drove an 2002 Mountaineer with the 4.6 V8 and I have to say it's one of the best engines around. It's one of those rare OHC engines that actually has excellant low end torque. The 2002 mountaineer easily took off a little quicker than the 5.0 but unlike the 5.0 it pulled like hell all the way to redline. The 2002 Explorers/Mountaineers w/ V8 are pretty fast for a heavy SUV. Also the 4.6 had that distinct burble of the modular engine sounding exactly like a quiet mustang. The 4.6 is rated at the same mileage as the 5.0 but most people seem to be doing better, we averaged 16mpg in the city with the 2002 mountaineer. A lot of people including my neighbor also are getting better gas mileage with the new V8's (my neighbor gets 15.5 in the city and he has the towing package with 3.73 gears. But like they said before parts are a lot more money than 5.0 parts. However those two engines are probably the best in the world to respond to mods for NA motors.

Back