Explorer XLT - Is this jerk/lunge common? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer XLT - Is this jerk/lunge common?

It might be “normal” but it’s not right, and shouldn’t happen.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My Explorer has been in the shop for about a week now again with the transmission issue. I got really pushy this time as I took a road trip about 100 miles each way and I literally was car sick midway. The jerky and shift even on the highway is so bad. As another person noted above, you can see how bad it is watching your passenger. I've also had two occasions in the car wash in which I couldn't get the car to come out of neutral. First time I was able to work at it. The second time, the attendant had to shut the line down because we couldn't get my car to move from the bay. Even he had to keep messing with it until it would shift to drive.

Fortunately for me, the mechanic took my car home the night I dropped it off. He experienced it and said it was rough and worse at certain points and interesting enough very consistent at 35mph which I'd been saying. So they discovered a valve issue on the transmission. It started with tearing that down to replace it. The part is back-ordered and not going to be here until February.

It gets better... I have also had electrical issues that are not consistent and getting worse. The weekend before taking it in my headlights would not turn on! I drove home from the store without lights (not smart but it was also just as it was turning to darkness. Also of note, while this was happening the dash lights for that cluster (to the left of the steering wheel) were also not lit up at all, while the other lights were. I took pictures so the tech couldn't tell me I was seeing things.

I've also had off messages that my two passengers in the back don't have their belts on. I have no back passengers, nothing on the seat. (no kids and on the off chance I have a passenger it's my mom in the front seat). The only way I could clear was to literally snap in the seatbelts. Restarting the car didn't even work. The car is always showing the wrong direction, lane assist doesn't work, front camera went out.... My list is 5 pages with screenshots.

Since my car has been sitting, I got the Deep Sleep Mode notification. Oh and I'd said to the dealer in the past that the hood looks like it can blow off the hinges when going through the car wash. They thought I was nuts. I got a call yesterday morning that during a windstorm over the weekend, my hood blew up hit the window and they now need to send the car to autobody once the transmission is back together.

There is now talk about a buyback. I'm not sure how likely that is, the shop is actually the one that said yesterday they should submit for a buyback. I wanted to love my Explorer. I'd waited from the time the redesign had been unveiled. I just can't believe how poorly the vehicle is put together.

My suggestion to anyone having issues is to take photos, video, and audio when you can. Document everything and be a nag. We pay dang good money for a new vehicle.

you need to do a buyback on that one. Electrical issues are not great to dig into, combined with body work and transmission issues... time to run away. If you like the explorer you could get another one but yours sounds haunted.

I hate my Explorer, no chance I want another. I'm working through the motions here on the buyback which is no communication. Truth, I'm going to let this ride out until February 5th. That hits the 31st day in the shop. I already know they won't have the transmission ready until mid-February. Then I'll pick things up and push it more. They told me on Monday someone would be in touch about the buyback and crickets. Given all the issues and that now a CarFax would show the transmission and service list, add on to that the auto body, I just think they've put me in a no win position to try and sell this on my own. I'll keep you all posted.

The first rough shift happens if you start driving right after you start your vehicle. Once it warms up a bit it should be reasonably ok. At least I have that in mine, don't know if it is normal or not.
100% same experience here. Now that we are in the winter months, the rough 1-2 shift lasts longer. It’s just strange, almost like it gets caught between gears or just hesitates bad on the shift. Once the transmission starts warming up, it’s usually OK. Maybe an odd shift here or there, but much better than when you first start driving.

The downshifts are usually a bit clunky no matter what, especially the 2-1. I love this thing on the highway, around town not so much. Good thing it’s my wife’s car. She notices nothing and loves the car.

100% same experience here. Now that we are in the winter months, the rough 1-2 shift lasts longer. It’s just strange, almost like it gets caught between gears or just hesitates bad on the shift. Once the transmission starts warming up, it’s usually OK. Maybe an odd shift here or there, but much better than when you first start driving.

The downshifts are usually a bit clunky no matter what, especially the 2-1. I love this thing on the highway, around town not so much. Good thing it’s my wife’s car. She notices nothing and loves the car.

ha ha, it is a blessing your wife has not to notice these things, peace of mind. Unfortunately, we on the other hand notice every niggle and can't sleep at night.

Yesterday was the 1-month mark for my new 2020 Explorer XLT 2.3L not a V6 (638 miles on it now). I've waited for the day to buy my explorer, was so excited and wanted to love it but... I'm not. After a few days of driving, I noticed an awful jerk/lunge from 1st to 2nd. It's terrible and literally you feel it in your body. So I thought perhaps the issue was Ecoboost and having to get used to that. Turned it to "normal" and it still does the same thing. When stopping, similar feeling especially approaching a light or stop sign. Reverse is just as bad. As soon as you put into reverse, the car rocks. Basically once I'm on the highway I love the Explorer. In the City, I'm truly hating my purchase.

I had a friend with me on the test drive and we did not notice this at all (I didn't use reverse during the test drive). Perhaps we both missed it paying attention to other aspects. I had a checklist with features, things to compare, etc.

I called the dealer and they said the first time getting used to the Ecoboost and throttle takes some time. OK, I was trying to go with that. After a bit of digging, I found a review on the XLT that it's not a smooth ride and complaints about lunging.

This past weekend I noticed the dashboard would show the wrong direction (example it showed N when I was heading south). Thought I was losing my mind but picked my mom up and she noticed then the dash showed a different temp than the radio screen. That's been continuing off and on. I called the second time and asked about bringing for service and a ride along with a mechanic. Not an option now with COVID. I told them about the new dashboard difference and wondered if perhaps there is a computer flush/update that needs to be done. Got a chuckle from the service writer but he scheduled me to come next week.

I'm wondering if anyone else with an XLT finds the jerky and lunging excessive. Do you notice the XLT having a rough transition between 1st and 2nd? I appreciate input from this forum and would love any insight beforehand.

Help me love my Explorer.
I'm usually the front seat passenger in wife's 2020 Explorer. I experience the worst sideways bouncing of any car I've ever ridden in! Bounces me around like a marionette on a string! Horrible ride!
Also notice a surging when braking, thought my wife had changed her driving style. No!
This is the last Ford that I will ever buy.
I should have known better than to buy a car from a company that managed to screw up simple lug nuts!

I'm usually the front seat passenger in wife's 2020 Explorer. I experience the worst sideways bouncing of any car I've ever ridden in! Bounces me around like a marionette on a string! Horrible ride!
Also notice a surging when braking, thought my wife had changed her driving style. No!
I should have known better than to buy a car from a company that managed to screw up simple lug nuts!
Welcome to the Forum Ben. :wave:
There must be an issue with the Explorer. No one else has reported anything about this bouncing side to side. Not sure what the lugnut thing is about. No reported issues that I'm aware of with those. Have you had the dealer check out the issues?

Peter

Do you have the lane keeper option on the Co-Pilot 360? If you don't stay in a very narrow lane, it will try to correct the car and jerk you back. I'd rather turn that off when I drive. I'm not that tight a driver.

Not sure what the lugnut thing is about. No reported issues that I'm aware of with those.

I don't think it's an Explorer issue.

Thanks for that Rick. That does seem to ring a bell now that I've seen that. Also, member bedwards brought up a good point about the Lane Keeping feature possibly causing the issue BouncingBen is having. There are getting to be too many of these features to keep track of. ;)

Peter

Any update on the lane-keeping suggestion?

Peter

Yesterday was the 1-month mark for my new 2020 Explorer XLT 2.3L not a V6 (638 miles on it now). I've waited for the day to buy my explorer, was so excited and wanted to love it but... I'm not. After a few days of driving, I noticed an awful jerk/lunge from 1st to 2nd. It's terrible and literally you feel it in your body. So I thought perhaps the issue was Ecoboost and having to get used to that. Turned it to "normal" and it still does the same thing. When stopping, similar feeling especially approaching a light or stop sign. Reverse is just as bad. As soon as you put into reverse, the car rocks. Basically once I'm on the highway I love the Explorer. In the City, I'm truly hating my purchase.

I had a friend with me on the test drive and we did not notice this at all (I didn't use reverse during the test drive). Perhaps we both missed it paying attention to other aspects. I had a checklist with features, things to compare, etc.

I called the dealer and they said the first time getting used to the Ecoboost and throttle takes some time. OK, I was trying to go with that. After a bit of digging, I found a review on the XLT that it's not a smooth ride and complaints about lunging.

This past weekend I noticed the dashboard would show the wrong direction (example it showed N when I was heading south). Thought I was losing my mind but picked my mom up and she noticed then the dash showed a different temp than the radio screen. That's been continuing off and on. I called the second time and asked about bringing for service and a ride along with a mechanic. Not an option now with COVID. I told them about the new dashboard difference and wondered if perhaps there is a computer flush/update that needs to be done. Got a chuckle from the service writer but he scheduled me to come next week.

I'm wondering if anyone else with an XLT finds the jerky and lunging excessive. Do you notice the XLT having a rough transition between 1st and 2nd? I appreciate input from this forum and would love any insight beforehand.

Help me love my Explorer.
I traded my 2020 in with 10,000 miles on it, great on highway but city driving was too much WORST FORD I ever owned. I taught new drivers how to drive a stick with better results.

Back