Extreme Intermittent Skip. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Extreme Intermittent Skip.

RedFordExplorer

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford Explorer
This is about my 2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer. 4.6 V8. with 74,000 miles.

I have been troubleshooting this problem since I purchased the vehicle in April 2012 with 58,000. I had it to three shops until recently it has been more consistent.

It skips at different speeds effecting shifting and engine smoothness. It causes jerking and general skipping while traveling. I have seen similar threads to it here but not the exact same problem. Dropping it out of over drive seems to make it go away. When the skipping starts happening it really acts up when I put my foot in it. (Race the engine and make the vehicle accelerate.)

The only codes I got were when I first purchased it. P0308 MOD$00

Cyl 8 MISFIRE. The engine service light was flashing.

Once I cleared it. It has never returned. I took it to three different shops and two of them Ford Dealers. No one could recreate it until recently. The Ford dealer did the following. It also had a bad exhaust manifold.

They replaced.

Exhaust Manifold. (Not part of the problem. Just bad.)
Transmission. (They blamed the hard shifting on the tranny.)
PCM Computer. (Computer didnt agree with the new tranny.)

Problem did lessen for a short time. But has since returned. I just recently replaced the coil pack on cylinder 8. Since this seems to be the only error code I got. Also, the Ford Dealer indicating there were minor skips when running the computer on the vehicle. But under the thresh hold to set off the engine service light. Replacing the coil pack hasn't helped.

One bit of interesting info. The vehicle exhibits strange electrical things. Passenger windows wont go down, light in the shifter console doesn't light up, just recently the lights on the heater/ac controls didn't light. They all come and go and in extreme cold the air bag lights goes off. (Don't know if that is part of it.)

I am going to have the Cylinder 8 spark plug replaced with hopes this resolves it. If anyone has resolved the same problem let me know. If more information is needed let me know.

Thanks for any help or advice!!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My first thought, given all the electrical issues, is to check all your primary grounds on the vehicle all the way to the power distribution box under the hood. Also, check the battery terminals/cables and make sure that they are not completely corroded/oxidized since most shops don't bother to clean them anymore unless you make a point of asking them to.

I second all the ground cables check. Unbolt them from the body/chasis, clean them with the wire and reattach, including the batter terminals.

Also, #8 was my issue about skipping, jerking the whole car. I was about to replace the torque convertor, but new spark plugs and coils fixed that. I also had P308, but it was not coming up at the beginning since the misfire was below threshold. So far it runs very well, closing on 162k miles.

As a third option if you now somebody who has the same car or have access to another pcm try doing a swap and test the car maybe you have a pcm issue cause I've cleaned all the wire contacts in my explorer and the only thing it did was improve the voltage nothing else changed still having my engine idle issues

I had/have a similar issue. I say had/have because after my last service, I haven't experienced the intermittent jerking.
I took my car into a mechanic to have plugs changed. They changed plugs, started car and it ran rough.. They got a code that there was a cylinder 8 misfire. They ended up replacing all the coils ( I asked that they do them all at one). After coils, they started car and cat. converter started glowing and engine ran rough. They didn't know what to do and told me to tow the car to Ford.
Ford replaced the cat converters, O2 sensors, and plugs (again) and now car runs fine. The car has 78,000 miles on it and out of warranty BUT I was informed that the emissions components are covered until 80,000 so I lucked out BIGTIME. They even covered the cost of the 8 new plugs because they said they were bad because of the cat. going.

My uncle had a 2006 f150 and I had to replace all the spark plugs to resolve a issue like yours

Thanks for all the advice.

I did change the coil pack on Cylinder 8. Since I changed it I have gotten P300 error code consistently. Random - Multiple Misfire detected.

I was planning to start with the coil packs and then the spark plugs. I will also check the connections on the Power Distribution Box and battery terminals as recommended.

Most of the work I can do myself saving the cost of the hourly rate in the shop.

Ironically enough the Ford shop that I had all the warranty work done. (Exhaust manifold, tranny and PCM). Called about the service I had done. I told them the problem still existed. They indicated the manager would call me and work something out. I guess we will see if Ford can come through after all without emptying my bank account.

and the saga continues....

Drive around for a few days without using the air conditioner. Your symptoms sound a lot like mine, and the cause is the condensation from the AC running down onto the tranny electrical connection and playing havoc.

When I don't use the ac, it never happens.

Drive around for a few days without using the air conditioner. Your symptoms sound a lot like mine, and the cause is the condensation from the AC running down onto the tranny electrical connection and playing havoc.

When I don't use the ac, it never happens.

are you sure it has to do with the condensation and not the fact the A/C demands more power from the engine so the extra load may be enough to show a misfire easier??

are you sure it has to do with the condensation and not the fact the A/C demands more power from the engine so the extra load may be enough to show a misfire easier??

100% certain. AC cycling is noticeable, but results in a difference in power. the problem I have is with the tranny shifting, or not, at the normal times.

I don't have any codes, either.

I also have a 2006 Explorer V8 with just under 74k miles and a similar hesitation. My dealer, when in for ESP work, diagnosed it as a bad wheel bearing. I haven't driven it enough since to know for sure if that resolved it, but for my drive home it seemed to be better.

Side note, I think I saw on the news that Toyota just had a recall where their A/C was dripping on some airbag wires causing them to deploy unexpectedly.

I also have a 2006 Explorer V8 with just under 74k miles and a similar hesitation. My dealer, when in for ESP work, diagnosed it as a bad wheel bearing. I haven't driven it enough since to know for sure if that resolved it, but for my drive home it seemed to be better.

Side note, I think I saw on the news that Toyota just had a recall where their A/C was dripping on some airbag wires causing them to deploy unexpectedly.

The engineers for some reason did not attach a drain hose to the evap box and route down low enough so the water would just drip onto the ground. As it is, it simply drips out of the box (in the summer its a waterfall with high humidity), and falls directly onto the tranny harness, which wicks it straight onto the connector.

I have yet to find a method to even get a finger on the hole, much less attach a hose to it somehow. I can see it, just can't get to it. Its really irritating.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rUP-nOsoJMA&desktop_uri=/watch?v=rUP-nOsoJMA

Found this when I was trying to figure out how to check the tranny fluid in my 07.
Won't vouch for the method shown as from what I've read in my service manual it doesnt match.
But torword the end of the video he talks about the ac. Draining on the tranny electrical connections causing corrosion and a part that's supposed to fix this.
Just FYI hope it helps

Back