F250 Superduty reliablilty

Brans Freestyle

Reaction score
City, State
Northridge, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Ranger 4x4
Hey everyone, got a quick question.

I'm looking at the possibility of getting a truck, and have found two F250 Superdutys for a low price, but they have quite an amount of miles on them.

My first choice is a 2000 Supercab SB with the 5.2L V8, but it has 110k miles on it. All the pictures show that it is in good condition cosmetically, but I havn't seen it firsthand yet to see how mechanically sound it is.

My other choise is a 1999 Supercab SB with the 6.8L V10, and that one has 87k miles on it, and is the same situation as the first one.

I was leaning toward the V8 since my friends have been telling me there have been problems with the v10, and if I can find a diesel for a low enough price I will look into that. My question is, do any of you know of any problems with these lines of trucks, especially in the drivetrain? I've been doing research and can only see about the 'terrific' gas milage they get.

As always any help is appreciated :D.

I've heard the same things about the V10's...I don't think i'd have a problem if it were a diesel with that many miles on it but anything else i'd stay away from. I just couldn't bring myself to buy that new of a truck with that many miles on it. Most likely those are towing miles on the trucks but who knows.
Anyways, just my 2 cents...good luck whatever you decide.

We have the V10 in our 2001 Excursion. We tow 4 snowmobiles and full gear and it tows like its not even there. As for reliability, we have never had a single problem with it and as of now it has 45,000 miles on it. A friend of mine has the V10 in his 2003 F350 and has had zero problems as well. What kind of problems have you heard about?

Back