F9 Black Screen on MFT

rctillery

Reaction score
City, State
Jamaica, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer XLT
Hi All,

I'm new to the boards but in the few weeks since I've discovered them, I have found great information. Here's my story...

I am the proud new owner of a 2011 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD. She's a Beauty. But...

I was trying to register my car at Syncmyride.com and according to the website, I needed to install the update before I could register. So being the tech savy girl (at least so I thought) I downloaded the update on a USB drive, went out to my car and started the download. After 20 minutes in the cold, I decided to quit the process and restart it later. I turned off my car and went in the house.

Well...

Now I have a black screen with a red box in the middle with F9 inside of the box. :eek::eek::eek:

Took it to Ford Service in my area and the tech came out to look at it. He said that he had never seen that before. But, because I purchased my car from a non-Ford dealer, he suggested that I take it back there.

So I did. It's there now and they seem even more perplexed.

Has anyone ever heard of this F9 in the middle of a black screen?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If its a non-ford dealer, they will be able to do nothing for you. Ford service may need to wipe the unit and reflash it with the latest version of software......

next time, do not stop the install process once it is started.

YES! I will NEVER attempt that again. I will find out what the service department was able to come up with.

Riding in silence SUCKS!!!!

Take it back to the Ford dealer and tell them to fix it. Perhaps the Ford rep here can clarify, but the warranty on the My Ford Touch system has been extended to 5 years without mileage restriction. That means your system is still under warranty and that dealer SHOULD fix it.

The only issues:
1.) I think you had to install version 3.2 to get the warranty upgrade. I'm guessing you have no idea which version was installed.
2.) I'm not sure the extent to which that warranty is transferable.

I'm guessing you are fine wrt both issues, but it might be worth sending a private message to FordIVTteam - Rebecca can help you by setting you up with a Ford Customer service person in your area who can make sure you are covered.

Take it back to the Ford dealer and tell them to fix it. Perhaps the Ford rep here can clarify, but the warranty on the My Ford Touch system has been extended to 5 years without mileage restriction. That means your system is still under warranty and that dealer SHOULD fix it.

The only issues:
1.) I think you had to install version 3.2 to get the warranty upgrade. I'm guessing you have no idea which version was installed.
2.) I'm not sure the extent to which that warranty is transferable.

I'm guessing you are fine wrt both issues, but it might be worth sending a private message to FordIVTteam - Rebecca can help you by setting you up with a Ford Customer service person in your area who can make sure you are covered.
The only problem is that unlike an install where you are following directions, she broke it by shutting it off mid-install. There are multiple warnings not to do that.

So a warranty claim? Maybe.

But as noted, the dealer should be able to hook directly into the unit via the external maintenance connection and reflash the thing.

The only problem is that unlike an install where you are following directions, she broke it by shutting it off mid-install. There are multiple warnings not to do that.

So a warranty claim? Maybe.

But as noted, the dealer should be able to hook directly into the unit via the external maintenance connection and reflash the thing.

x2

I updated mine just fine. But when mine said to leave the car running and not to turn it off, I didn't turn it off. I sat in the car for 40 minutes idling in my driveway while the update was performed in 20 degree weather, but the heat worked for the majority of the update so I was nice and warm. I took the time to read over the manual a little to figure out some of the voice commands.

Hi All,

I'm new to the boards but in the few weeks since I've discovered them, I have found great information. Here's my story...

I am the proud new owner of a 2011 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD. She's a Beauty. But...

I was trying to register my car at Syncmyride.com and according to the website, I needed to install the update before I could register. So being the tech savy girl (at least so I thought) I downloaded the update on a USB drive, went out to my car and started the download. After 20 minutes in the cold, I decided to quit the process and restart it later. I turned off my car and went in the house.

Well...

Now I have a black screen with a red box in the middle with F9 inside of the box. :eek::eek::eek:

Took it to Ford Service in my area and the tech came out to look at it. He said that he had never seen that before. But, because I purchased my car from a non-Ford dealer, he suggested that I take it back there.

So I did. It's there now and they seem even more perplexed.

Has anyone ever heard of this F9 in the middle of a black screen?

Hi, rctillery!

Which browser did you use to download the update, and did you use a MAC or PC? You'll definitely need to visit a Ford dealership to get this resolved.

Rebecca

Thank you Rebecca. The service department sent me to a Ford Service department. She is now fixed.

Thanks to all who responded. I will ALWAYS go to the experts to deal with this system.

Thank you Rebecca. The service department sent me to a Ford Service department. She is now fixed.

Thanks to all who responded. I will ALWAYS go to the experts to deal with this system.

You're welcome! Don't hesitate to shoot me a private message if you have any questions. :)

Rebecca

you don't have to go to the "experts" IMO, you just need to follow the instructions. The technicians at the dealer around me read the manual and fumble through stuff just like I do.

Lets all give the OP a break huh? She learned her lesson about following directions.

Not only that, but if Ford's going to market this to the masses (as they've done) they have to expect and tolerate this kind of issue.

I sat in the car for 40 minutes idling in my driveway while the update was performed in 20 degree weather,
I just put mine in the drive, put in the thumb drive, locked the doors (with the second key) and let it roll. I set a timer for 45 minutes and checked on it, then again every 5 after that. I think it took about 50 or so minutes. No problems.

I just put mine in the drive, put in the thumb drive, locked the doors (with the second key) and let it roll. I set a timer for 45 minutes and checked on it, then again every 5 after that. I think it took about 50 or so minutes. No problems.

I was getting some peace and quiet from my wife and 3 kids. :) shh, don't tell my wife that though. :)

Back