• Register Today It's free!

factory alarm system question

praxxius

Reaction score
City, State
utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 limited
i just recently bought a 2001 mercury mountaineer. the factory theft prevention system is installed. the problem i have with it is: it is overly sensative. if a deisel engine truck drives by it, or i start my motorcycle... the alarm goes off. i dont want to leave it unlocked all tjhe time, but the neighbord complain about it going off all night long. ive searche3d for a sensitivity knob ... but no luck. any ideas? this is one of a long list of problems im fighting wiith it, b ut this one is most pressing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

upon tearing the dash to peices i did come across 3 wires taped together. a blue, orange and green wire. possibly what used to be the valet overide? i have no clue. and this thing is driving me nuts

There was no factory alarm available for the explorer/mountaineer, so it is an aftermarket system, you will have to take it to a shop to have it serviced, good luck :thumbsup:

There was no factory alarm available for the explorer/mountaineer, so it is an aftermarket system, you will have to take it to a shop to have it serviced, good luck :thumbsup:

X's did in deed have factory anti theft protection, mine has it. It may depend on what model X or Mountaineer you have but it was on at least some models.

Mine works, I know when I set it off by accident. I had been under the hood and thought I had shut the hood tight. I locked the car and when I went around the front I saw I didn't have the hood shut tight. When I raised the hood to close it the alarm went off.

What happens is the horn blow intermittently and the lights flash.

Mine is not sensitive to outside noise and has never went off except for that one time.

I suspect he has an after market alarm, in which case he is going to have to track it down to disable it. If his alarm does anything other than honk the horn and flash the lights it is an after market alarm.

mine was factory installed. took it back to dealer today where i bought it. the pressure sensor on the driver rear was screwed up. u could sneeze and the alarm would go off. <horn honking, lights flashing> they removed the system for me free of charge. ill post some pics of what they did to help someone else out who may have had the same issue i did.

There is the anti theft system (just the keyless entry but honks the horn) that is factory installed, if he does have an alarm then it is not factory installed, might be dealer installed, but still aftermarket.

Good thing the dealer fixed it for free :)

was wondering about the antitheft on my 2001 explorer, is it the pats system and if so is pats 1,2,or 3. i have a red antitheft light in the instrument panel tha flashes when i first put the key in. any information on this would be appreciated. as i know nothing about what it does or how it works. thanks in advance for any info that i get

Yes it is PATS, there's a thread called everything you need to know about the PATS system, you can read that one to help you understand the system

Back