factory cd changer / harness question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

factory cd changer / harness question

os1kne

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
I have a 1999 XLT with the premium AM/FM/CD/CASS head unit. I am looking to add a factory cd changer, but after pulling my head unit out I'm not sure if it is set up to accept the harness to control a cd changer. (I have read a few things that indicate that my HU should control a changer.)

When I pulled my HU out, facing the rear of the head unit, there were "ports" for 4 wiring harnesses (2 x 2). The bottom right harness was for the typical stereo connections (power, ground, and speaker connections), I assume the bottom left harness was for connecting the rear passenger control unit. This plug in the harness looked like it would accept either 20 or 25 wires, but only 9 were present. The "port" at the top right seemed to be a blank without any pins and the cover was labeled "amp". The port at the top left was similar to the amp port except that there were several small pinholes, but no pins to plug a harness into.

Can you please enlighten me? Where would the cd changer harness plug into? Is there a website that explains the wiring of the factory head unit? Thank you in advance for your help.

This may help...
Dead Link Removed

If nothing else, it will let you know what parts are needed.

os1kne -

not sure how soon you want to put in the changer, but i'm in the process of planning to take my out. i'm upgrading the whole system to alpine.

i should have the 98 factory cd changer plus any harnesses used to connect it to the 98 dual media radio available. not sure if it's exactly the same as the 99 equipment, but my guess is it is. anyone know for sure?

anyway, if you're interested, it's most likely for sale, barring any unforseen circumstances. should be available by the end of july or early august.

cd changer

OK Im a tech and work on these trucks everyday, I put in factory cd changers all the time, ok what u need is a harness and a changer, unfortunatlly u cant take on out of another truck as they are built in, the harness goes inbetween the one thats there and the radio (very easy to install, bout 15 min) I have the harness and a brand new ford factory changer in box and also have a few used as well if ur interested. also factory ford security if interested. let me know.

Back