Factory Tow Hitch Kit for Gen 5 Explorer c/w Video | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Factory Tow Hitch Kit for Gen 5 Explorer c/w Video

Just as an update for everyone. I can confirm that my 2013 Limited that does NOT have a factory tow package has the trailer brake controller connector underneath the steering wheel.
Also, I checked the fusebox and the required fuses and relays are all there (trailer turn signals, brakes, reverse, parking, as well as the dedicated battery charger).
This means that with an Oem 7 pin wiring harness out back (make sure you have the right version, different versions based on what your model has (parking sensors, blind spot, keyless go...)) you should have full trailer brake controller functionality upfront and have no need to be drilling holes through your firewall and into your engine bay (which is what etrailer told me I would need; looks like they were wrong)

I have ateached a pic of what the connector looks like. The Grey one in the pic.

[IMG=800x600]http://http://s17.photobucket.com/user/albguy40/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150923_182021.jpg.html[/IMG]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll get a pic later as I'm very mad right now, but I can confirm that the receiver hitch IS a class 3 receiver. It says so right on the hitch and has the 5,000 lbs rating. I'm mad because FedEx damaged where the 7 pin mounts. It's bent and the entire box has been opened.

Please resize your pictures. They are way too large. We have to scroll L/R to see them. Posted pictures should be in the 800 X 600 pixels range. Yours are 2448 X 3264. Thanks.

Peter

What would be a good equalizing hitch for the explorer with say 3500 lb. trailer load with 400 lb. tongue weight??

What would be a good equalizing hitch for the explorer with say 3500 lb. trailer load with 400 lb. tongue weight??

Just towed a 3600 pound 19ft Travel Trailer with mine this last weekend and the place I rented the trailer from gave me a Husky WDH to use with the trailer. I probably added about 200lbs of food and toys for the trip to the trailer. The Husky did not have sway bars but it brought the explorer up to level once adjusted properly. Without the bars there was at least a 2 inch sag...

Ride was comfortable on 80kmh one lane roads up to about 90kmh even with tractor trailers beside you coming the opposite way doing 90-100+kmh.

Over 90kmh though I noticed that wind made it a pain to control safely and I needed constant light steering adjustments.

Got my OEM hitch installed yesterday. Cutting the openings for the tabs for the added trim pieces is a pain and I messed up the two lower ones. Ended up cutting them off and attempted to glue it. That didn't work too well. Plan to get trim panel Christmas trees and drill a hole for them and it will be fine. Other than that it wasn't bad. Got the tow button and trim panel installed as well.

My wiring harness has arrived and the hitch should be here later today. This harness is for the 2016 EX (BB5Z-15A416-A). It is a 5 foot wire with a T on one end and the 4 pin connector at the other. Since it came with only a URL to a link that you need a password to get into for instructions I guess I am out of luck. Can someone tell me if it will be obvious where to connect this thing once I pull the bumper?

*** Update ***
The hitch showed up and "Class III" is clearly marked on it. I figured out the wiring harness by checking the equivalent harness on the eTrailer web site.
And for those who want a 7-pin version, it can also be gotten from eTrailer:
http://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-Vehicle-Wiring/Ford/Explorer/2016/118272.html?vehicleid=201632660

My wiring harness has arrived and the hitch should be here later today. This harness is for the 2016 EX (BB5Z-15A416-A). It is a 5 foot wire with a T on one end and the 4 pin connector at the other. Since it came with only a URL to a link that you need a password to get into for instructions I guess I am out of luck. Can someone tell me if it will be obvious where to connect this thing once I pull the bumper?

*** Update ***
The hitch showed up and "Class III" is clearly marked on it. I figured out the wiring harness by checking the equivalent harness on the eTrailer web site.
And for those who want a 7-pin version, it can also be gotten from eTrailer:
http://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-Vehicle-Wiring/Ford/Explorer/2016/118272.html?vehicleid=201632660
I'd rather just get an OEM harness. They aren't that expensive and you get both 4 and 7 pin connectors on the factory harness.

I'd rather just get an OEM harness. They aren't that expensive and you get both 4 and 7 pin connectors on the factory harness.
What part number did you use? Is that something that has to be run behind the dash?

What part number did you use? Is that something that has to be run behind the dash?
Did you read this entire thread? I posted my part number on the first page of this thread. I also state what options I have as yours may be different. I also have push button start which is another option I didn't list. You have to research what harness you need.

2011-2015 Ford explorer Class III Trailer Hitch Install -VID-

when i installed my hitch i decided to do a little fun video of it, im sure it might come in handy for someone else. I decided to replace my stock wiring hardness with a OEM 7 pin wiring harness as well to give it the 100% factory install, im very happy how it turned out.

The hitch comes with the manual and comes with the tow hitch cover and some extra bolts to mount it.

Hopefully this will give you a better idea of the whole process and you can DIY.

Tag

Did you read this entire thread? I posted my part number on the first page of this thread. I also state what options I have as yours may be different. I also have push button start which is another option I didn't list. You have to research what harness you need.
Yeah, I read the entire thread but that was several months ago. My post that you just replied to is over 3 months old. The solution I used adds the 7 pin connector by plugging into the 4 pin connector so there is no need to worry about how you start the car.

Keep in mind that even though it is a class III hitch, because it is an aftermarket install, the towing weight restriction is 2000 lbs. Only the factory installed one is rated for 5000 lbs because of the other installed items and a different transmission. Reading another post, the factory installed package also come with a 26mm radiator. The standard apparently is 19mm.

Peter

Keep in mind that even though it is a class III hitch, because it is an aftermarket install, the towing weight restriction is 2000 lbs. Only the factory installed one is rated for 5000 lbs because of the other installed items and a different transmission. Reading another post, the factory installed package also come with a 26mm radiator. The standard apparently is 19mm.

Peter
Why did you move my posts in this thread to a different thread? Both threads are just as relevant.

Just for clarification, if I install all the OE components my self including a larger radiator, trans cooler and oil cooler. I’m limited on the amount I can tow/ haul because of my transmission and the gearing available in a front wheel drive 2106 limited?

Just for clarification, if I install all the OE components my self including a larger radiator, trans cooler and oil cooler. I’m limited on the amount I can tow/ haul because of my transmission and the gearing available in a front wheel drive 2106 limited?
Your 2016 will still be legally limited to 2000 lbs. The reason has nothing to do with what your vehicle has or doesn't have. Once the vehicle leaves the factory, the manufacturer's stated towing weight cannot be changed.

Peter

DB5Z-15K868-D
Dude, thank you!!! This part is available at nearly every Ford dealer while the "official" 4 wire connector for the OEM trailer hitch kit is on back order

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wanted "same day fast" so I'm picking it up from the local Ford dealer (AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake). $9 more than Tasca but I get it today :)

Be careful to everyone else - some dealers are charging as much as $120 for this $85 (MSRP) part.

Back