Failed inspection AND re-inspection. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Failed inspection AND re-inspection.

jagarundi

Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn,NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT AWD
Hello all, for awhile, my ex has been throwing sensor codes and the check engine light came on. As I've always done, I dis-connected it to reset. I take it in to Strauss for inspection and I fail. The reason listed is because the 'On board computer' isn't ready to be tested yet. I drive it around from Sunday until today when I go to get it inspected AGAIN. Once again, it fails and lists the same reason.:mad: :mad: :mad: WHEN is it going to be READY?:mad:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Depends. Sometimes it's 10 miles or so. It has to run all of the tests, and they have to pass. It takes longer if you disconnect the battery then if you just clear the codes with a scanner. And if it fails the test, your check engine light will come back on, which it likely will, since you didn't say you fixed anything. I think it can take a few hundred miles if you disconnect the battery. Again, if you didn't fix it, then your CEL will likely come back. Best is to wait until it does, then go to an auto parts store and get them to read the codes for free. Then figure out what the problem is.

the readiness monitor for the EVAP system is probably not ready (all drive cycles have not been met yet to be tested), can take weeks. I would of had the codes read to see why the light came on in the first place

the readiness monitor for the EVAP system is probably not ready (all drive cycles have not been met yet to be tested), can take weeks. I would of had the codes read to see why the light came on in the first place

When I took it to Autozone, the code I got said something about sensor bank2. Is this a sensor and something I can fix quickly by myself? My 10 day extension runs out next week.

Well, sounds like an O2 sensor. But the specific code would tell you WHICH O2 sensor. Some of fairly easy to get to, some not. There are 4 on your truck. If your truck is otherwise running fine, then the code was probably a P0141 or 142, which I think would be the secondary bank 1 or bank 2 sensor, i.e. after the cats. They are both not too bad to get too. I'll find out how pad when I replace mine in the next week or two. You're in NY, so safe to say they are probably rusted in place pretty good.

The above is just a guess without the actually code. I will be testing mine this weekend to make sure it is the sensor. Could also be the cats. For about $50, you could replace the suspect sensor and see if it fixes the problem.

Rizzjc, it's code 142. How easy is that to handle?

I *think* it is the driver side secondary, but do a search on the site. Didn't look any worse than the other one. The primaries are the ones that can be a bear to get to. None of them are "easy", I think don't, but the secondary is better. Again, search the site. Lots of info on the 141 and 142 codes. I haven't actually pulled mine out yet.

P0142 is 02 Sensor Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 3).

Are you certain that's the correct code?

Yeah, you're right. Might want to check that code. I thought there were only 4 sensors total.

Back