• Register Today It's free!

HELP*Failed Inspection*

White98

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
I took my '98 in last week for inspection and the guy at the garage said that the X failed inspection(emissions). He said that the sensors were not ready. Apparently there are 4 out(not ready) and you are only allowed 2 out. I recently had the engine out for the timing stuff and have not had much of a chance to drive it. Do you think that all I need to do is drive it around a bit for the comupter to "re-learn" everything. Or is there something else that needs to be done? Thanks.

Yes, you have to have driven the Explorer for a while before doing an emissions test. I had the great idea of resetting the computer in the parking lot so the 'check engine' light would hopefully not come back during the test.

Well, that exact same thing happened. The guy told me I'd need to drive it around for a day or two and then come back as that's how long it can take for the variables to.. come back. Or whatever they do.

Thanks. Thats what I figured. The only thing is that the inspection was out the end of last month. I guess I need to drive her around at night. :D

I had the same thing happen to me in CT on my '96. I failed the first test. The code said bad EGR Valve. Replaced that but as I was sitting in the line the dreaded "Check Engine" light came on. I already paid my $20 so I pulled up anyway. They wouldn't even hook up the cable. He said to "put some miles on it". By now the registration had expired, but as luck would have it here in CT we are foregoing the old stickers on the rear plate to the NY style sticker on the windshield. Hey the cops can only see one end of the vehicle at a time! It took 3 long months and over 5000 miles across the country to get rid of that check engine light. As soon as it went out I went to the emissions place and passed, got it registered and have been living the straight life ever since!

Back