Failed water pump and engine fans | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Failed water pump and engine fans

Mishtar

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, Co
Year, Model & Trim Level
I have not been on here in a while but I thought I would post about the latest issues with my 2011 Explorer.

On Saturday after I came out of the car wash it was warm out and as I was pulling up to the Carpet cleaner my engine coolant is over heating light came on and the engine light came on. I drove home about a mile and had my neighbor who knows more about cars have a look. Turns out the coolant housing was empty, like no antifreeze at all. SO i made an appointment for today and drove my wife's car up to ford and got some special green coolant and refilled it.

So today after they check it out they said the water pump was gone and that Ford will warranty that. They also said that some how both of my engine fans stopped and that would be $392 to replace as the whole assembly needs to be replaced which costs $250. I am not sure how that works but I can see the fans are as cheap as $65 online.

My question for you guys on here is how would both fans die at the same time, could this have been caused by the water pump failing and as such this should all be covered?

The vehicle is a 2011 with 48k miles on it.

On another note when I brought the car in with bubbling paint they said I was 500 or so miles over so it would not be fixed unless it starts to rust. It has now started rusting so I will wait to hear back and see what they have to say.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...So today after they check it out they said the water pump was gone and that Ford will warranty that. They also said that some how both of my engine fans stopped and that would be $392 to replace as the whole assembly needs to be replaced which costs $250. I am not sure how that works but I can see the fans are as cheap as $65 online...

I'm happy to get your customer service manager to help further, Mishtar. Please PM your VIN, full name, daytime phone number, and dealer info.

Kwasi

If indeed the water pump caused the fans to quit (only can see this by them running full steam for a long period of time and burning out) then yes, the fans should be covered as it failed due to a covered part failing.

However, that is really going to be hard to diagnose.. the fans are electric so they need to figure out what failed on the fans.

Paint issues are only covered on the 3yr/36k bumper to bumper (whatever conversion that is for kilometers). After that, rust is only covered IF it rusts through a body panel (creates a hole). If it is surface rust, the warranty does not cover it.

Have you confirmed that is indeed the fans that are gone and not the control module that governs them? The software update 12B36 was to increase the fan speed intermittently to prevent possible contamination build up on the fan motor contacts.

Peter

Have you confirmed that is indeed the fans that are gone and not the control module that governs them? The software update 12B36 was to increase the fan speed intermittently to prevent possible contamination build up on the fan motor contacts.

Peter

Hey Peter, it's been a while.:)

This is what my Service advisor just emailed me from Ford after I asked him what you had wrote.

"The fan/module is an entire assembly from Ford you cannot replace one or the other. The test has not yielded any other results beyond power is going to the module/fans and the part is unresponsive/has failed. The entire assembly must be replaced to correct the problem."

Don

Hi Don. I noticed you were back posting again. The way the fans are set up, it is a single unit. From what they mentioned about there being power at the connector, I guess it is safe to guess that the fans are the issue here. I don't have my Ex anymore so I can't check it out to see what kind of a DIY project it might be.

Peter

Hi Don. I noticed you were back posting again. The way the fans are set up, it is a single unit. From what they mentioned about there being power at the connector, I guess it is safe to guess that the fans are the issue here. I don't have my Ex anymore so I can't check it out to see what kind of a DIY project it might be.

Peter

I noticed you had a new vehicle in your signature. How are you liking that compared to the Explorer?

It sits a bit lower but it has the 3.5L Ecoboost engine and rides a little better. It has 3 diver selectable ride options, Normal, Sport and Comfort, where mine sits. It has the adaptive headlights that I can't really say are much of an advantage, at least not where I drive. Third row can also be put in a 'tailgate' position which I'll never use.

Peter

Thank you for your help Crystal. Ford paid for everything except the 1 hour labor to put the new Fan assembly in. SO that saved me $250.

Thanks again!

Thank you for your help Crystal. Ford paid for everything except the 1 hour labor to put the new Fan assembly in. SO that saved me $250.

Thanks again!

You're very welcome, Mishtar! I'm glad everything worked out. You know where to find me if you need help in the future. :)

Crystal

Back