• Register Today It's free!

Fan clutch

Grovebaby

Reaction score
City, State
Suffield, ct
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 xlt
Went to change thermostat and noticed fan was all cracked. how do you know if yuo need a fan clutch? also, what engine oil is recommended for 91 4.0 122k connecticut? I use 10/30 castrol in everything thing else, is this ok?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would recommend replacing the fan clutch along with the fan itself. These trucks are known for having cracked fans. With 122k I have no doubt that the clutch is probably bad, or going bad. Plus, you can replace both items yourself for under $100. As far as oil, you will find many opinions. I would recommend 5w-30 for the winter months and 10w-30 for the summer months. Hope this helps. :)

You can tell if you need to replce the fan clutch by two things. First with the engine off and cold will the fan rotate freely? Secondly when the engine is up to operating temperature is the fan spinning? If you answer yes to both then your fan clutch is OK.

Oh, I didn't know engine temp engaged the clutch. I thought it disengaged when rpm increased and engaged when idleing. I'll do those checks tomorrow. Thanks

My original manual for my '94 says 5W-30 is preferred for all temps (0 - 100+ F) & 10w-30 for moderate to hot (100+ F). I'm in Mass & use 5w-30 year round with no issues.

Walter

thanks Walt, I don't have a manual. The reason why I use 10/30 is that I had read an article that said oils with a wider spread in viscosity, for instance 10/40, have more additives in them, which would leave more engine deposits than 10/30. Judging by what the manual says, I think using 10/30 for the warm months and 5/30 when it gets cold would be ok.

Well, the book shows a temp chart with arrows for the 2 oils. Three boxes gage temp.
1. Cold Below 0 F
2. Moderate temperatures (Thanks for the info FORD.... what the heck is a 'moderate' temperature? 1 - 99 F??)
3. Hot above 100 F
Anyway, 5-30 arrow gage covers all 3 temps, 10-30 only the last 2. Book goes on about NOT using oils labeled API SA, SB, SC, SD, SE, SF. I do not know what any of these are. They do give a spec numbered ESE-M2C153-E if your a goggle freak & like to look up weird things on the internet. I'm sure that specification has nothing to do with the Oil companies or Big oil people, right :)

In the end, sure, use 10-30 & 5-30 in our zone. I'm sure your not hurting anything by sticking to the recommendated oils. Course this all changes if you move south & end up in Miami...
Walter

BTW... I'm 2nd owner of my explorer. Lady had it before me & kept it up very well. Along with the original manual, I also have the maintance schedule book & the ORIGINAL gloves for changing the spare tire (that & instructions were quite a find I thought)

Walt, funny thing is I found a receipt from Jiffy lube in glove box. Says 10/40 on that!

Yeah Grove, you gotta watch those McOil Changers. Unless you specify a certian oil, they toss in the sure fire back-up of 10-40. Usually if you ask for something different they charge extra too.

Walter
BTW.... I have a slow leak that makes me add a quart every 2 months. Sometimes can't get 5-30 & 10-40 had to be tossed in with no real difference

Yeah and they never tighten the drain plug either.

Back