Fastest exhaust manifold fix ever. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fastest exhaust manifold fix ever.

jremington59

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Watertown, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997, 99 and 2000 5.0's
When I bought my latest 5.0 it had the standard upper mileage cracked manifold tick on the passenger side. Today I decided to take a look and get the manifold ordered. I started the engine and put my hand in there to try and feel air coming from a crack. When I did my hand pressed against a plug wire and the ticking stopped. The third plug back from the front was so loose it was about to fall out. What's even sadder is the po had paid a garage to change the plugs and wires a couple months ago. I do have to go around and check the rest of them now, but that beats the hell out of swapping manifolds....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When I bought my latest 5.0 it had the standard upper mileage cracked manifold tick on the passenger side. Today I decided to take a look and get the manifold ordered. I started the engine and put my hand in there to try and feel air coming from a crack. When I did my hand pressed against a plug wire and the ticking stopped. The third plug back from the front was so loose it was about to fall out. What's even sadder is the po had paid a garage to change the plugs and wires a couple months ago. I do have to go around and check the rest of them now, but that beats the hell out of swapping manifolds....

well i guess that's good news, but i'd be checking that truck from bumper to bumper. who know's what else you may find loose. brake calipers, lug nuts, front suspension parts.

I've already replaced the front pads and caliper pins. But I'll be sure to check the backs and the other plugs.

I have to admit I once forgot to tighten a plug after finger threading it in, but I'd expect more from a garage. Probably a Ford garage, lol.

So the ticking was the spark arcing?

Geez you're lucky. Lucky you didn't get belted into next week.

So the ticking was the spark arcing?

Geez you're lucky. Lucky you didn't get belted into next week.

i think he's saying the noise was compression leaking.

It's because of things like that that I've always done my own work.
Some of the things that have happened to my brother's cars would make your hair curl.

I had to have an engine swapped recently and couldn't do it myself because of my back, so many sensors and bolts missing.
And wires and hoses routed incorrectly.

i think he's saying the noise was compression leaking.

"When I did my hand pressed against a plug wire and the ticking stopped. The third plug back from the front was so loose it was about to fall out."

Sounds to me like he was looking for a gas leak but found a loose wire.
A loose wire with a lot of volts in it.

When I pressed the wire it pushed the plug over to the side it tightened against the hole and "lessened the ticking" so to speak. It was making the same ticking noise you'll hear with a cracked manifold our EGR tube.

When I pressed the wire it pushed the plug over to the side it tightened against the hole and "lessened the ticking" so to speak. It was making the same ticking noise you'll hear with a cracked manifold our EGR tube.

on that note i am going to have to check mine because i have had the ticking for about a year now and havnt fixed it lol but if its just a plug wire that would just make my day!

Back