Fatal mistake?

shane10

Reaction score
City, State
MW
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLS
4WD
Hey all, a bit embarrassed to post this here as it's the dumbest thing i have probably ever done, but looking for some expert advice into the matter regardless.
Had a valve cover leak that was burning on the manifold finally decided i'd had enough of the burning oil smell. Job went ok a few hiccups that set me behind a day. Long story short when i started it up it ran for about 3 seconds and stalled out, went over all connections/hoses everything was good. Then i realized my mistake. When i had the intake manifold off I had stuffed the holes with paper towels, you can see where this is going...
Took the manifold back off and was able to retrieve 3 of the 6 gas soaked paper towels. The rest were either completely or partially already sucked into the engine (beneath the valves?).

Question now is what is the best plan of attack, take spark plugs out and hand crank the engine in an attempt to expel what's left? Crank the engine and hope she starts and burns off the paper towels? They were cheapo white paper towels if that makes any difference.
Feel free to make fun of me as long as you add something useful haha.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You may have been okay with Bounty towels, but with cheapo paper towels you're out of luck. Hope it works out okay for you.

Don't stick anything into the engine to retrieve the paper towels. Either ignite what you can of the towels or let the engine burn them off. Maybe Charmin could make a commercial about this. Mr Whipple has that little tape measure, he could measure the intake ports and talk about how Charmin covers two ports, one roll.

So you guys think the remaining paper chunks went through the intake valves and into the combustion chamber? Crazy!!

So you guys think the remaining paper chunks went through the intake valves and into the combustion chamber? Crazy!!
There were 6 ports stuffed with paper towels, he retrieved 3, so 3 are missing. From a logical point of view, it's only a few inches from the intake manifold port to the combustion chamber, the direction of vacuum means it will only go one way. Those cheap paper towels, when wet you can see through them, and if it was one of those stupid ass select a size sheets, there wouldn't be very much material, making it easy for the towels to vanish.

Where else would they have gone?

Yes sir, I was actually able to fish nearly an entirely intact paper towel out from the spark plug hole at #3 cylinder, and some decent sized scraps from cylinder #6. When I pulled the intake manifold off again after my #$%^ up, most, if not all paper towel was still above the cylinders in the ports on cylinders 1, 4, and 5.
Question now is if I should attempt to run it again, assuming it starts I think the paper towels would be burned in the combustion chamber, or make it's way through the exhaust and get burned/spit out there? I can't imagine a half sheet of thin paper towel having enough mass to bend a rod, but what do I know :dunno:

Yes sir, I was actually able to fish nearly an entirely intact paper towel out from the spark plug hole at #3 cylinder, and some decent sized scraps from cylinder #6. When I pulled the intake manifold off again after my #$%^ up, most, if not all paper towel was still above the cylinders in the ports on cylinders 1, 4, and 5.
Question now is if I should attempt to run it again, assuming it starts I think the paper towels would be burned in the combustion chamber, or make it's way through the exhaust and get burned/spit out there? I can't imagine a half sheet of thin paper towel having enough mass to bend a rod, but what do I know :dunno:
I doubt it bent a rod. I'd put it back together and fire it up.

Picked out everything I could with a grabber tool, started it up, ran rough for about 10 seconds, stunk like burning paper (hmm) then came back to life. Lesson learned.
Unfortunately still getting a slight oil leak at the back corner of the drivers side valve cover, I guess I'll keep living with the smell for now.
Thanks for the replies

Lucky !

Why not Re seal the valve cover?

Some of us have also made a simple tin guard to deflect the dripping oil off to the side of the cat converter/ exhaust so that when it does leak it does not burn up and smell of oil

Glad she’s running! Funny how the towels were there to project things from falling into engine hahaha

Back