• Register Today It's free!

Feel vibration in floor

davem

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 XLT
I have a 2001 Explorer XLT V-6, 130K miles (I've owned since 36K miles).

Seems like I can feel more vibration in the floor than normal. At 65 MPH, its noticeable (and to a lesser degree at slower speeds such as 50-60).

The vibration is not in the steering wheel.

Should I have the tire balancing checked ? What other drivetrain items are likely to cause this ?

Thanks.

Dave

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

U-joints would be my guess. Do you feel any vibration in the steering wheel? Could be a wheel bearing too. Run the truck up to where you feel the vibration, ease off the throttle, but not all the way, let the truck "float" for a few seconds, if you can find a downgrade to do this, it helps. If the vibration is more pronounced, then you most likely have a bad u-joint.

There's numerous things it could be. Do you feel it while excelerating more than when driving? If you put it in neutral while coasting does it go away?

Its not a night-and-day difference, but I do think the vibration is less when coasting. Does that point me towards U-joints ? I don't hear the 'clunk' that bad U-joints sometimes make. Any other tell-tale symptoms that point toward U-joints ?

Its not a night-and-day difference, but I do think the vibration is less when coasting. Does that point me towards U-joints ? I don't hear the 'clunk' that bad U-joints sometimes make. Any other tell-tale symptoms that point toward U-joints ?

I had a bad u-joint in my 98 Mounty and it never clunked, just vibrated like an SOB.

Also, do you hear any noises? Usually you can hear a bad hub bearing.

I had the same vibration in the floorboard when traveling around 70-80 mph. I dropped the driveshaft and drove around without it and determined it was was driveshaft. It wasn't the U joint on mine. When I spun the driveshaft back and forth in my hand the CV at the bottom of the driveshaft was clicking. I decided to just pay $200 for a remanufactured driveshaft off of Partsgeek.com. I popped it in and problem gone. I didn't want to go through the aggravation of replacing both the U joint and CV and possibly still have a problem.

Maybe a motor mount.havent had it happen on my explorer but had that problem with ford focus.it would shake the seat and floor around 60mph. Balanced tires at least four times nothing helped until I figured to look for other random problems. Give it a look

Thanks for the u-joint and motor mount ideas - will check them out.

Thanks for the u-joint and motor mount ideas - will check them out.

I suggest getting your tires balanced, and then going from there.

Back