Mutineer

Reaction score
City, State
Ardmore, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT 4X4
Callsign
FLOYD
Soory for the thread change, this thread used to be called something else, but I dont want to associate myself with the name mentioned anymore, so here is the continuation:

I called McNeil (Perrys Fab and Fiber) and he said they had a 97 exply hood, and can install the scoop and louver vents I want for around $500.00 plus shipping.

I asked for pictures, and sent him pics of the truck, so as to avoid any confusion.

I will be saving up for this so it may be a while, but I will get it and paint it to match the fenders I got elsewhere.

Attached are pictures of the build so far...Enjoy!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Heres a weak MS paint version of what Im going for....

Thanks! Im going to try to do a mock-up with the metal hood, I can build the scoop out of the old fenders, and cut my own vents untill I can get the new hood.

Gonna start that project this weekend.

Itll be SWEET!

OK so I started fabbing up the scoop and it turns out that the front top of the old stock fenders, if cut right, make a perfect 1 foot wide hoodscoop.

With a good amount of cutting, fabbing and body work, This is going to work out perfect!

The hood will be trimmed up to lighten it, and fabbed up for a 4 pin hold-down configuration.

1 foot wide, 16 inches long and functional when completed, probably by the end of this weekend.

This ought to tide me over till I can afford another fiberglass one :thumbsup:

Ill keep you posted as I go

Here's how far I got today, still needs alot of work, but its looking pretty good right now :thumbsup:

Thats a hell of a big scoop. Do you think it might be a little to high?

looking good, can't wait to see it when its done

functional ram air or just looks? You know what would be sweet is a shaker...

TEXPLORER:

Too big how? this is the first one I ever built, I thought it looked kinda small....It looks tall in the picture, I think it is actually about3 inches tall at the center, I will cut the hood todayand do a mock-up and take a look.

Besides wind drag, what could be the problem if it is too big, if it wont be hooked up to the engine?

AFBOY:

Just for looks right now, I eventually want to rig up something to make it funtional. About the Shaker, I thought that too after EXPO5.0 showed me his, but a shaker would defeat the purpose of a snorkel system I am in the process of designing, so for right now I just want it to bring cold air in to help cool the engine for now.

I wonder if I could rig a shaker that I could plug off when needed....switch from shaker to snorkel.....

Ill look into it, I havent cut the hood yet........ :D

Here's a mockup:

nice im interested in the finish product

1996 Dodge Ram "Johhny Ram" 360 auto(for now), np203, over 20 inches of lift, Rockwell 2 1/2 ton axles with the 6:72 ratio, 2 1/2 ton driveshafts, all custom built by Me. All in all I think its awesome and cant wait till its done.

Im saving up for the tires and wheels, till then its immobile. I rigged up the frontend like a semi, the whole front cap flips forward.
Right now its at a stand still, but after my next trip to Iraq (Oct '06 to Mar '07) Ill have what I need to get it done.

Check out this site, its my site and there are pics and videos there:

Johhny Ram 4X4

Thanks! I hope so, I have taken a $5000.00 truck and put over 2 years of weekend and evening labor time and over $10,000.00 into it by the time I get the tires and wheels .... :thumbsup:

I will be welding the scoop on the Mountaineer tonight, I cut out the inner part of the hood last night, and all is ready. Then I will set up the 4 hood pins and maybe get that fixed up tonight, too... :D

Ill get pics when I get it done

Back