Field Service Actions 20B27 and 20N07? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Field Service Actions 20B27 and 20N07?

DelcoGary

Reaction score
City, State
Delaware County PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
16 Explorer XLT 4wd 2.3L
So I looked in the Ford Pass app and it tells me that my 16 Explorer has two open Field Service Actions, 20B27 and 20N07. I can't tell from any searches or other information what these include other than they are related to the transmission. Ford Owner site is of no real help either. Neither is Dr. Google. :eek:

20N07 looks like it extends the warranty on the transmission presumably for some unknown amount of time and mileage. 20B27 seems related to reprogramming the PCM for some sort of symptoms.

Anyone have any info on these mysterious items?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Neither one of those numbers is shown in this forum except for your post. Unless anyone has the answer, it is best to check with your dealership.

Peter

Just got those done today at the dealer.

20B27 was a reset (invoice says software update, release # 117.01) of the PCM via IDS.

20N07 is a 12,000 warranty from the date of the PCM reset. Not sure if it is added on...

20B27 was a reset (invoice says software update, release # 117.01) of the PCM via IDS.

20N07 is a 12,000 warranty from the date of the PCM reset. Not sure if it is added on...
Only for 2016?

Have you noticed any difference since the software update? I'm just curious as to what it accomplishes.

I have not...yet.

Im curious on this also. I took my 2016 2.3 in for the Toe Link today and they completed the 20b27 recall also. I am wondering exactly what changed. On the drive home the car drove the same. I now have 99,500 miles....if i get an extra 12k mile warranty on the transmission that woould be OK with me.

I was told the warranty starts when the recall is performed.

I got a letter in the mail today about the recall. They are reprogramming the PCM because it is possible for the transmission torque converter to overheat in certain driving conditions. So somehow the new software helps protect the torque converter from overheating....at least that is what the letter says. So from the date the update is done they will cover a torque converter replacement if it fails.

I got a letter in the mail today about the recall. They are reprogramming the PCM because it is possible for the transmission torque converter to overheat in certain driving conditions. So somehow the new software helps protect the torque converter from overheating....at least that is what the letter says. So from the date the update is done they will cover a torque converter replacement if it fails.
I got the same letter today but my 2016 explorer with 46000m was acting funny, as soon as I pull out on to the street, it didn’t want to go after pressing the gas and acted like if it was going to die. It did it three times and then a wrench light came on. I took it to the dealer where the updates where taken care of, or at least I was told but apparently the transmission was going out so I called Ford and I have a case pending to see if they can split the cost because is over the 5y warranty.

I got the same letter today but my 2016 explorer with 46000m was acting funny, as soon as I pull out on to the street, it didn’t want to go after pressing the gas and acted like if it was going to die. It did it three times and then a wrench light came on. I took it to the dealer where the updates where taken care of, or at least I was told but apparently the transmission was going out so I called Ford and I have a case pending to see if they can split the cost because is over the 5y warranty.
Ouch sorry to hear that. What engine? And have you ever changed the transmission fluid? I’m 200 miles shy of 100k miles with 0 issues so far. I even did a little off roading today with no issues. Hopefully Ford helps you out some.

Welcome to the Forum Luis. :wave:
Please keep us updated on this issue. Thanks.

Peter

Ouch sorry to hear that. What engine? And have you ever changed the transmission fluid? I’m 200 miles shy of 100k miles with 0 issues so far. I even did a little off roading today with no issues. Hopefully Ford helps you out some.
Is the 2.2 xlt and no fluid has been changed but it only has 46k miles on it and 2 months over for warranty. I think is a faulty trans that they put in.

Welcome to the Forum Luis. :wave:
Please keep us updated on this issue. Thanks.

Peter
Will do, they are claiming that all the recalls are not related to the issue my transmission is having. But I’m fighting that because is too young to have this kind of problem.

Will do, they are claiming that all the recalls are not related to the issue my transmission is having. But I’m fighting that because is too young to have this kind of problem.
We’re there any symptoms months before failing?

We’re there any symptoms months before failing?
I thought I would resurrect this thread because my 16 XLT has been at the dealership for what is going on 3 weeks now. It is getting transmission parts replaced under this program and of course, parts are delayed.

It started slamming into reverse when cold (backing out of the driveway first thing in the morning) and it would hesitate going from 2 to 3, especially when cold. Sometimes it seemed like it would shift out of 2nd and it would be a good second or two of nothing before going into 3rd. The other symptom that may be related is that the RPM would noticeably vary when going at a steady speed between 35-45 mph. I liken it to the torque converter cyclically locking and unlocking. Not 100% sure that last symptom is related tho. Funny thing is that once the transmission was warm, it generally seemed to be fine, but the issues were really noticeable when cold or first thing when starting off.

Overall, I wish I could like the Explorer more, the mileage and size are great and it seemed to be able to do what I need it to do. I picked this one up (used) in August 2019 with under 30k on it and so far it's had multiple toe link recalls (3), the steering rack replaced (5 months after purchase - thankfully under warranty), sunroof leak ($850), roof rack recall, and now the transmission. The recalls seem to be endless and it doesn't seem to be built very well. At 52k miles, it has more rattles than my Expedition had at 200k miles and has made me question my allegiance to the Blue Oval at this point.

People need to quit calling everything a recall. Most of these aren’t.

People need to quit calling everything a recall. Most of these aren’t.
It's quibbling, but most are recalls. The toe link issue has been the subject of 3 recalls (two replacement and one inspection) and the roof rack trim is also listed as a recall on the FordPass app. The transmission is a Field Service Action. The sunroof and steering rack are just failures.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Exactly.

Back